1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of Protons and Electrons at a certain distance provided.

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a proton and an electron are released when they are 8.00×10e-10 m apart (typical atomic distances), find the initial acceleration of each of them.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma
    F=kq1q2/re2
    F=kee2/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

Since r=8x10e-10, I solved for the force, because the charge between proton and electron will be the same. From that I got 2.88x10e-10. Then, using F=ma, I divided the force by the mass of the electron (9.10 x 10e-31) and got 3.16x10e11. This was wrong so I am stuck here...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2
    Bump please!!

4. Jan 18, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The method looks right. I'm not getting the same numbers as you are though. If you get something like e-10 for force and divide by e-31 for electron mass it's nowhere near e11.

5. Jan 18, 2009 #4
    Sorry, I meant 3.16 x 10e20. Still isn't correct though.

6. Jan 18, 2009 #5
    Ack! Silly me! My calculator was set up incorrectly! I fixed it!

Thank you for helping me understand that I was doing it correctly though!

7. Jan 18, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was going to suggest you check the calculator batteries, F wasn't right either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?