Acceleration of Protons and Electrons at a certain distance provided.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 21K views
SuPaFly43218
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If a proton and an electron are released when they are 8.00×10e-10 m apart (typical atomic distances), find the initial acceleration of each of them.

Homework Equations



F=ma
F=kq1q2/re2
F=kee2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution



Since r=8x10e-10, I solved for the force, because the charge between proton and electron will be the same. From that I got 2.88x10e-10. Then, using F=ma, I divided the force by the mass of the electron (9.10 x 10e-31) and got 3.16x10e11. This was wrong so I am stuck here...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The method looks right. I'm not getting the same numbers as you are though. If you get something like e-10 for force and divide by e-31 for electron mass it's nowhere near e11.
 
Sorry, I meant 3.16 x 10e20. Still isn't correct though.
 
Ack! Silly me! My calculator was set up incorrectly! I fixed it!

Thank you for helping me understand that I was doing it correctly though!
 
I was going to suggest you check the calculator batteries, F wasn't right either.