1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are protons in the nucleus and electrons aren't?

1. Aug 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Why are protons in the nucleus and electrons aren't??

3. The attempt at a solution

So this is the question I was asked. I understand that protons are held together by nuclear (or strong) force. I understand that an atom is stable because there's an equilibrium between this nuclear force and the electrostatic force caused by the repulsion between the protons. I also understand that for electrons to exist they must keep moving to keep a certain amount of energy, and that that is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. But I don't really know what my professor expects me to get at with this question, and reading introductions to quantum mechanics have just made me more confused. Is there a property or principle I'm missing??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Good start - do electrons feel the strong nuclear force?
    What forces do electrons feel?

Well, electrons can exist at rest ... the atomic electrons do have quite a high energy though, and that has something to do with the potential they move in. Electrons in a container have a minimum energy level.

For a QM course - I imagine you will want an answer in terms of the energy levels of a potential. For instance, an atom can be bind a muon in the same way as it binds electrons ... but a muon can be inside the nucleus. What's the difference?

If this were a nuclear physics course I ask you to consider what happens to electrons inside the nucleus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted