Acceleration problem. me vs book

In summary, the bus traveling at 30.0 km/h speeds up at a constant rate of 3.5 ms/^2 and reaches a velocity of 120 km/h after 6.8 seconds. The calculation can also be done to 115 km/h, taking into account significant figures.
Rhine720

Homework Statement

A bus is traveling at 30.0 km/h speeds up at a constant rate of 3.5 ms/^2. What velocity does it reach at 6.8 seconds later?

book says 120.km/hour
I get 115 km/hour

Homework Equations

Vf=Vi+a x delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

First I changed 30.0 km/hour to 30000 m/3600s then reduced to 8.3 m/s. Used formula to get Vf=32.13m/s

I divide 32.13 by 1000 to get .03213 km/s then 1.9278 km/m then 115.668 km/h.

I've worked this problem a hundred different ways and get the same answer. AM i right or the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you and the book are correct. I would assume that the book is answering the question to 2 significant figures, thus 115.668km/h is 120km/h assuming your math is correct.

oh my goodness i forgot all about sig figs. Thank you very much

1. What is the acceleration problem?

The acceleration problem, also known as the "me vs book" problem, is a common physics problem that involves calculating the acceleration of an object based on its initial velocity, final velocity, and time elapsed. It is often used to demonstrate the concept of acceleration and is a fundamental part of understanding motion.

2. How do you solve the acceleration problem?

The acceleration problem can be solved using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time elapsed. Simply plug in the known values and solve for the acceleration.

3. What units are used for acceleration?

Acceleration is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system. This represents the change in velocity (meters or feet per second) over time (seconds).

4. Can the acceleration problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the acceleration problem is applicable to many real-life situations, such as calculating the acceleration of a car or a roller coaster. It is also used in engineering and physics to design and analyze the motion of various objects.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving the acceleration problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the acceleration problem include using the wrong units, misinterpreting the direction of acceleration, and not accounting for any external forces acting on the object. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and pay attention to units and directions when solving for acceleration.