1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the force to stop a train

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Superman must stop a 120-km/hr train in 150 m to keep it from hitting a stalled car on the tracks. If the trains mass is 3.6 x 10^5 kg, how much force must he exert?

Vi = 33 m/s (120 km/h)
    Vf = 0 m/s
    Displacement (Xf - Xi) = 150 m
    M = 3.6 x 10^5 kg

2. Relevant equations

v = x / t

a = v / t

F = m a

3. The attempt at a solution

v = x / t
    33 = 150 / t
    t = 4.55 secs

a = v / t
    a = 33 / 4.55
    a = 7.26 m/s^2

F = 3.6 * 10^5 * 7.26
    F = 2613600N

Ignoring the sign convention for just a second, the answer is half the value of what I calculated. I would like to know why I have to use the formula below, and why my method is incorrect.

upload_2017-3-14_14-6-23.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2
    Your formula for acceleration is wrong. You were probably thinking of ##a=\frac {dv} {dt}##. And your equation for velocity only works if the velocity is constant. In a case of changing velocity, like this one, the correct relationship is ##v=\frac {dx} {dt}##. The solution is using the kinematic equation ##v^2=v^2_0+2a\Delta x## to solve for the required acceleration, and plugging it into your equation for force.

4. Mar 13, 2017 #3
    As TJGilb pointed out, v = x/t is only valid for constant velocity - NOT constant acceleration. Therefore, your time calculation of t = 4.55 seconds is how long it would take the train to move 150 meters if it was traveling at a constant velocity of 33 m/s. Since the train is not moving at constant velocity, but decelerating, the time will take longer than 4.55 seconds to cover the 150 m distance. Because the time you calculated was shorter than the actual, your acceleration was greater than actual, which results in a greater required force than actual.

Just an observation: Superman probably could have moved the car with his little finger. Just sayin'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted