What is the effect of slope on velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the starting velocity of an object sliding down a 10% slope and trying to climb up a 5% icy hill. The suggested method is to use the kinematic formula Vf = Vi + At, with an acceleration of -9.81 m/s^2. The conversation also mentions finding the total force acting on the object using Newton's Laws. Finally, the conversation clarifies that a 45 degree angle corresponds to a 100% slope.
denzel

Homework Statement

You are sliding downhill a slope of 10% (what angle is that?). Calculate how the starting velocity of 10 km/h changes within the first 120 s. After that you try to climb up an icy hill with 5% slope. Is that possible?

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi +At

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to put acceleration as -9.81 and using the kinematic formula Vf = Vi +At but the result was way too big. Should I take those 5.71 degrees and do something with them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Like %100 slope is 90 degree %0 slope is 0 degree so %10 is ??

Try to calculate the acceleration that you ll gain in inclined plane

Arman777 said:
Like %100 slope is 90 degree %0 slope is 0 degree so %10 is ??

Try to calculate the acceleration that you ll gain in inclined plane

How should I do this I if Ii don't have the mass?

denzel said:
How should I do this I if Ii don't have the mass?

You don't need mass If you write down the equations you'll see

Try To write down the total force acting on the object.Then you fill find a

Arman777 said:
You don't need mass If u write down the equations you ll see
Well I really don't know which eccuations are you talking about.

denzel said:
Well I really don't know which eccuations are you talking about.

Do you know Newton's Law and their applications ?

1. What is kinematics and how does it relate to motion on a slope?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It is particularly useful in understanding how objects move on a slope, as the slope can affect the acceleration and velocity of the object.

2. How is the motion of an object on a slope different from motion on a flat surface?

The motion of an object on a slope is different from motion on a flat surface because the slope introduces a gravitational force that acts on the object. This force affects the acceleration of the object and can cause it to speed up or slow down, depending on the angle and steepness of the slope.

3. What are some key factors that affect motion on a slope?

The angle and steepness of the slope, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity are all key factors that can affect motion on a slope. Additionally, the presence of friction can also impact the motion of the object.

4. How is velocity calculated for an object moving on a slope?

The velocity of an object moving on a slope can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object has been in motion.

5. Can kinematics be applied to real-world situations involving motion on a slope?

Yes, kinematics can be applied to real-world situations involving motion on a slope, such as a ball rolling down a hill or a car driving up a steep incline. By understanding the principles of kinematics, scientists and engineers can predict and analyze the motion of objects on slopes in various scenarios.