1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration Question* * (Physics 11)

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    Acceleration Question*URGENT* (Physics 11)

Okay well i have a test tomorrow and this is a question that was on my quiz, and i didnt know how to do this:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. A driver of a car going 90.0km/h suddenly sees a barrier 40.0m ahead. It takes the driver 0.75s before she applies the brakes, and the average acceleration during braking is -10.0m/s^2.
    a. determine if the car hits the barrier (need to know how you got it, please tell me which equation and why :/ i know this involves 2 steps.)
    b. what is the maximum speed at which the car could be moving and not hit the barrier 40.0m ahead? assume acceleration doesnt change.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I haven't a clue, need help >.<

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

During the 0.75 seconds the driver is moving with a constant speed. Use the speed and time to calculate the distance covered in this time interval. The distance to the barrier is now reduced by this amount. That is

[tex]d_{remain} = 40.0 - d_{react}[/tex]

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    and then, apply the equation of motion (s-u-v-a-t equations) to check what distance it takes to stop. (you know u, v, and a.)
    Drawing a rough sketch always helps in Physics. Even in such a simple question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?