1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining average acceleration during point of impact

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, new to the physics world, I am trying to self-teach through reading textbooks, videos etc and application.

I came across a problem I do not know how to begin to answer.

A dodgem car of mass 200g is driven due south into a rigid barrier at an initial speed of 5.0 ms^-1. The dodgem rebounds at a speed of 2.0m^-1. It is in contact with the barrier for 0.2s. Calculate:

a) the average acceleration of the car during its interaction with the barrier
    b) the average net force applied to the car during its interaction with the barrier.

2. Relevant equations

I am unsure which equations to utilise: F=ma, a= Delta v/ Delta t or kinematic equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a) a = (-2-5)/(0.2) but for barrier unsure?
    b) Fnet= 0.2 X unknown acceleration

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello M, welcome to PF :)

a= Delta v/ Delta t is a good one for average a. Delta v is v before - v afterwards. Note that v is a vector, so the before and after have different signs in this calculation. a is also a vector and it should be clear that it points opposite to the original direction of motion of the car !

And you will do fine with F = ma in part b. So not what you write in your attempt: the 0.2 seconds have no place there....
    [edit] Sorry, didn't see that it was a toy car. 0.2 kg is ok.

Again, F is a vector. Check the sign using your intuition!

4. Feb 13, 2015 #3
    Thank you BvU,

It is liberating receiving help from someone when navigating the minefield of physics.

Your guidance is perfectly clear, I am just unsure as to how to incorporate delta T here: if I were to divide the change in velocity (delta V) which appears to be -7 (in the opposite direction as you pointed out! :) ) by the change in time (0.2s?) (Final T - Initial T; 0.2 - 0) I end up with 35ms-2N, however this does not appear to be correct!

Apologies for my rudimentary understanding, I am still grappling with content.

5. Feb 13, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps they want a different direction in the answer: you found ## -2 - 5 ## m/s per ##0.2## s = ##-35## m/s2 If I am correct. This is taking the 5 m/s South as positive. So the answer is ##-35## m/s2 South which you can correctly report as ##35## m/s2 North.

But if the program insists on receiving the acceleration in a southerly direction, then entering ##-35## m/s2 (with or without the S, I don't know) is the only way to get it to approve your answer.

( I'm deducing all this from your " this does not appear to be correct" -- without knowing if there is a computer program involved at all...)

For me your result is impeccable. No need for apologies; on the contrary: kudos for your wanting to learn !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted