1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration with position given

1. Mar 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The position of an object is given by r(t) = 4 cos(3t) i + 4 sin(3t) j (where distance is
    in meters and time is in seconds). What is the magnitude of the object’s acceleration at
    any given point in time?

2. Relevant equations

v=x/t a=v/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok so i thoguht that since the x and y coordinates are 4 cos 3t and 4 sin 3t the hypotenuse would be 4 and then that would be the distance so then i solved for t by 4cos(3t)^2 + 4sin 3t^2=4^2 and i solved t to be 30 since sin of 3(30)=90 is 1 and cos of 90 is 0 then i used the 30 as my time and divided 4/30 to find the velocity and then use the velocity and plugged it in v/t and i get the wrong answer...where did i go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

v = x / t only gives you the average (which is exact, whenever the acceleration is zero).

If you want the acceleration at any point in time, you need to differentiate.
    v(t) = r'(t)
    a(t) = v'(t) = r''(t)

where the prime denotes differentiation with respect to time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook