• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Particle acceleration/displacement question

• Thread starter Lami
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A particle moves in the x-y plane relative to a fixed point O. Initially, the particle is at the point 6i-2j, where I and J are position vectors in the directions of the x and y axis respectively. The particle moves such that t seconds after the start of its moition, the velocity of the particle is given by 3cos(3t)i - 2sin(6t)j. Find an expression in terms of t for:

a) acceleration of particle
b) its displacement
[Hint: Use radiains]

Homework Equations

a) Chain rule for differenting dy/dx = dt/dx * dt/dx the function 3cos(3t)i - 2sin(6t)j
b) Integration of function 3cos(3t)i - 2sin(6t)j

The Attempt at a Solution

a) -9sin(3t)i - 12cos(6t)j
b) sin(3t)i + 1/3cos(6t)j + c.

Further
I don't really get ijk notation or how to use it effectively. I know how to switch from polar to component form for simple equations, but with trigonometric functions I'm getting really confused. I have no idea if what I'm doing is correct for this. I'm assuming 6i-2j is its displacement, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I know t= d/v, but that's about it. Any hints/resources to help me get around using ijk in mechanics based questions would be great.

Edit: I realised that if t=0, then s = 6i-2j. So to solve for c, 6i-2j = sin(3t)i + 1/3cos(6t)j + c. But aye, any useful redirects to worthwhile resources on ijk stuff would be great.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Try to embrace and understand the ijk notation instead of getting around it. It helps you write and manipulate vector equations keeping the x, y and z components sorted out. Your assumption that ##6\hat i-2\hat j## is the displacement is incorrect. The problem clearly states that it is the initial position of the particle. It's the position where you will find the particle at t = 0. This means that if you replace ##t## with ##0## in your expression for the position (not the displacement), you should get ##6\hat i-2\hat j##, but if you replace ##t## with ##0## in your expression for the displacement, you should get zero.

It seems that so far you have used the unit vector as effectively as is possible.

Last edited: