Acceptable accuracy spec of an hourmeter.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Averagesupernova
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Accuracy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,943
Reaction score
1,575
So, as the title says...
-
What is an acceptable spec? We're not talking in seconds per year or anything like that. Does anyone know a rough industry standard?
-
This hourmeter will be designed into a machine that will accumulate a couple thousand hours a year max. A .2% accuracy will be +/-2 hours on an accumulation of 1000 hours. Would you think this is acceptable? It sounds horrible at first because if the hourmeter were to run for a year (8736 hours) it would come up short or long by 17.5 hours. But when it comes to machine maintenence and things of this nature, I don't see a problem. Opinions are welcome.
-
Edit: After a bit of googling I find hourmeter specs anywhere between 20 ppm to .02%.
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems that you answered your own question.

Acceptable is always in the eye of the beholder. If I was doing for preventative maintenance purposes, I would think 10% is acceptable.