Engineering Physics: 1 year left

In summary, a computational physics major with approximately 10 years of industrial automation experience is seeking guidance and suggestions for their job search. They have a preference for physics and astronomy related fields, but acknowledge that their B.S. degree may limit their options. They currently work for a small company in the automation industry and make $25/hour, with little opportunity for advancement. They have a 3.0-3.2 GPA and are considering taking additional classes to improve their resume. They are also considering a graduate degree, but are hesitant due to family and age considerations. They are open to suggestions for potential fields that would be a good fit for their skills and background.
bowlbase
tl;dr: Computational Phys major with ~10 yr. industrial automation experience looking for guidance/suggestions for job search. Would prefer physics/astronomy oriented but know B.S. is limited in these fields.

I'm about to start my last year of college at the UIUC Eng. Physics program (#1 in nation last I heard). My minor is CS so I'll graduate with Computational Phys. I was wanting to come here for any guidance or suggestions that the forums might like to share for my situation.

I currently work as a "engineer" for a small (4-5 people) company building/designing mid sized machines for automation (mainly for auto industry but some aerospace). I have a lot of experience with robotics (a bit of programming but mostly set up and modifications), camera set up (this requires a bit of programming but really depends on the type of camera as some are extremely easy to configure) and maintenance. I've been doing this for almost 10 years now as I started right out of the Air Force. I currently make $25 an hour and will likely go to salary at ~$65k if I stay where I work. But, being a small company there is 0 chance of "moving up the ladder."

I don't necessarily need to stay in this industry but I know I'll have a much easier time landing a job in some sort of automation. Though, honestly, I'd much prefer something more physics related. I have a deep passion for astronomy but really didn't think I could sell a B.S. in Astrophysics anywhere (not easily anyway).

I have a 3.0 for my core classes at the moment and 3.2 overall. I was actually just diagnosed with ADD and hope the medication I'm on will help a bit with grades. So far it seems to be helping in my Summer classes. I considered a graduate degree when I first started but I'm getting a bit old for that (almost 33 when I graduate) and school has been a real stress on my family. Besides, my wife wants to finish her RN so I need to wrap it up soon.

Anyway, can anyone suggest a field that would fit me? Is there anything I should specifically mention on my resume about Eng. Phys that may help me succeed in my job hunt? Is there any specific classes I should take that look good on a resume? I saw a lot of jobs mentioning optics so I took that last semester and got a solid B.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is the focus of Engineering Physics?

Engineering Physics is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles from physics and engineering to solve real-world problems. It focuses on the application of physics concepts to create and improve technology and systems.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in Engineering Physics?

There are many career opportunities for individuals with a degree in Engineering Physics, including roles in research and development, product design, quality control, data analysis, and more. Graduates can work in various industries such as aerospace, energy, electronics, and telecommunications.

3. What skills are necessary to succeed in Engineering Physics?

To succeed in Engineering Physics, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and critical thinking. Additionally, excellent problem-solving, communication, and teamwork skills are crucial as engineers often work in teams to develop solutions.

4. Can someone with a degree in Engineering Physics also work as a traditional physicist?

Yes, individuals with a degree in Engineering Physics can also work as traditional physicists. The skills and knowledge gained in Engineering Physics, such as research methods, data analysis, and experimental design, are transferable to a career in physics.

5. What is the difference between Engineering Physics and other engineering disciplines?

Engineering Physics is a unique discipline that combines elements of both physics and engineering. Unlike other engineering disciplines, Engineering Physics focuses on the fundamentals of physics and applies them to solve engineering problems. It also has a broader scope, covering a wide range of industries and technologies.