Accerleration from power, mass & speed

In summary: To summarize, a car with a mass of 1200 kg and maximum power of 50 kW has a maximum acceleration of 1.6 m/s2 when traveling at 60 mph.
KESTRELx

Homework Statement

A car of mass 1200 kg produces a maximum power of 50 kW. Find the maximum acceleration of the car when it is traveling at 60 mph.
(A). 1.6 m/s2. (B). 0.4 m/s2. (C). 0.7 m/s2. (D). 2 m/s2. (E). 3 m/s2

Homework Equations

P=Fv
F=ma
mph-m/s = (miles x 1.6 x 1000)/3600

The Attempt at a Solution

P=Fv
P=mav
P/mv=a

m/s= (60 x 1.6 x 1000)/ 3600

50000/1200x26.6 = 1.56...
So I'm saying that the anser is 1.6

i think i have done this right however as i no longer have access to the answers i can't tell. If any thing is wrong could you just point me to the area (i.e. equations or numbers)

Physics news on Phys.org
KESTRELx said:

Homework Statement

A car of mass 1200 kg produces a maximum power of 50 kW. Find the maximum acceleration of the car when it is traveling at 60 mph.
(A). 1.6 m/s2. (B). 0.4 m/s2. (C). 0.7 m/s2. (D). 2 m/s2. (E). 3 m/s2

Homework Equations

P=Fv
F=ma
mph-m/s = (miles x 1.6 x 1000)/3600

The Attempt at a Solution

P=Fv
P=mav
P/mv=a

m/s= (60 x 1.6 x 1000)/ 3600

50000/1200x26.6 = 1.56...
So I'm saying that the anser is 1.6

i think i have done this right however as i no longer have access to the answers i can't tell. If any thing is wrong could you just point me to the area (i.e. equations or numbers)

Your answer is fine.

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration from power, mass, and speed?

The formula for calculating acceleration is a = P/(m*v), where a is acceleration, P is power, m is mass, and v is speed.

2. How does an increase in power affect acceleration?

An increase in power will result in an increase in acceleration, as long as the mass and speed remain constant. This is because power is directly proportional to acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between mass and acceleration?

The relationship between mass and acceleration is inverse. This means that as mass increases, acceleration decreases, and vice versa. In other words, a larger mass requires more force to accelerate at the same rate as a smaller mass.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object is decelerating or slowing down. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration or retardation.

5. How do you calculate acceleration if power and mass are unknown?

If power and mass are unknown, acceleration can still be calculated by using the formula a = F/m, where F is the net force acting on the object. The net force can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, F = m*a.