Power of Elevator: Calculating Motor Power Needed

In summary, in order to find the power needed for the elevator to have an upward acceleration of 1.07 m/s2 at an instantaneous speed of 4.69 m/s, we use the equations F=ma and P=Fv to find the net force and power. The net force is equal to the mass of the elevator and load multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity and the desired upward acceleration, plus the frictional force. Plugging in the given values, we get a power of 107144.6165 W.
blayman5

Homework Statement

An elevator has a mass of 956 kg and car-
ries a maximum load of 764 kg. A constant
frictional force of 4150 N retards its motion
upward.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
What power must the motor deliver at a
instantaneous speed of 4.69m/s if the elevator
is designed to provide an upward acceleration
of 1.07 m/s2? Answer in units of W.

The Attempt at a Solution

F=ma
N-mg=(me+ml)a
N=(me+ml)(a+g)
F=N-frictional force
P=Fv

I was wondering if this progression of the problem would be logical to solve for the power.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got it:

Fy=ma
N-mg-f=ma
N=(me+ml)(g+a) + friction

P= Nv

=107144.616

Your approach is logical, but there are a few things that need to be clarified in order to solve for power. First, I'm assuming that the elevator is initially at rest and is accelerating upward at 1.07 m/s^2. Also, I'm assuming that the elevator is moving at a constant speed of 4.69 m/s, so there is no change in acceleration.

With that in mind, here is the solution:

First, let's calculate the total force needed to accelerate the elevator upward:
F = (m_elevator + m_load)(a + g)
F = (956 kg + 764 kg)(1.07 m/s^2 + 9.8 m/s^2)
F = 17,091 N

Next, we need to take into account the frictional force that is retarding the motion of the elevator. Since the elevator is moving at a constant speed, the net force must be zero. Therefore, we can set the frictional force equal to the total force:
F_friction = 17,091 N

Now, we can solve for the power:
P = F_friction * v
P = (17,091 N)(4.69 m/s)
P = 80,119 W

So, the motor must deliver 80,119 W of power to maintain a constant speed of 4.69 m/s while also providing an upward acceleration of 1.07 m/s^2.

1. How is the power of an elevator motor calculated?

The power of an elevator motor is calculated by multiplying the weight of the elevator (including the maximum load capacity) by the desired speed of the elevator and the gravitational constant (9.8 m/s^2). This calculation gives the minimum power required for the elevator motor.

2. What factors affect the power needed for an elevator motor?

The factors that affect the power needed for an elevator motor include the weight of the elevator, the desired speed of the elevator, the gravitational constant, and the efficiency of the motor.

3. How do you determine the maximum load capacity for an elevator?

The maximum load capacity for an elevator is determined by taking into account the maximum weight that the elevator can safely carry without exceeding the weight limit of the elevator car or the capacity of the supporting cables and motor.

4. What is the importance of calculating the power needed for an elevator motor?

Calculating the power needed for an elevator motor is important because it ensures that the elevator will be able to safely and efficiently carry the desired load at the desired speed. It also helps in selecting the appropriate motor and ensuring that it can handle the demands of the elevator.

5. How does the power of an elevator motor affect the energy consumption of the building?

The power of an elevator motor directly affects the energy consumption of the building. A more powerful motor will consume more energy, resulting in higher energy costs. Therefore, it is important to accurately calculate the power needed to ensure efficient energy usage and lower operating costs.