Acetic Acid + Ammonium Hydroxide Vapours

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of "A+B Smoke" in movie special effects, which is a mixture of Acetic Acid and Ammonium Hydroxide. The resulting smoke is created when the vapours of these two chemicals mix in the air. The MSDS safety sheet lists the resulting mix as an irritant, but this may only apply to the solid remainder of Ammonium Acetate. The concern is more about the toxicity of the smoke itself. It is clarified that smoke is just a solid dispersed in air and in this case, it is made up of tiny ammonium acetate particles and water. The toxicity of ammonium acetate when inhaled is not explicitly stated, but it is recommended to follow the
Janson Raymond Kenny
Hi!
I work in the movie business doing Special Effects.
To create smoke for some effects we use "A+B Smoke." It is simply a mix of Acetic Acid (Part A) and Ammonium Hydroxide (Part B).
However, the smoke effects is created when the VAPOURS of these 2 chemicals mix in the air.

The MSDS Safety sheet lists the resulting mix as only an "irritant" to eyes, throat, and lungs HOWEVER, I believe these safety ratings are based on the solid remainder of Ammonium Acetate. (I hope that is correct) I am more concerned about the toxicity of the resulting SMOKE and not the solid remainder.

What is the resulting toxicity of these two chemicals reacting together?
What is the toxicity of the VAPOURS/Smoke created by mixing these chemicals?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Janson Raymond Kenny said:
I am more concerned about the toxicity of the resulting SMOKE and not the solid remainder.
Smoke is just a solid dispersed in air. In this case, the smoke is made up of tiny ammonium acetate particles dispersed in the air. The only other product is water.

Thanks for your quick reply...
Any idea how toxic ammonium acetate is when inhaled?

Janson Raymond Kenny said:
Any idea how toxic ammonium acetate is when inhaled?
I would go with whatever the MSDS says. I doubt it's terribly toxic, but I wouldn't recommend lots and lots of exposure to it.

1. What is the chemical reaction between acetic acid and ammonium hydroxide?

The chemical reaction between acetic acid and ammonium hydroxide is an acid-base reaction, also known as a neutralization reaction. The acetic acid (CH3COOH) is an acid, while ammonium hydroxide (NH4OH) is a base. When these two substances react, they form ammonium acetate (NH4C2H3O2) and water (H2O).

2. What are the physical properties of acetic acid and ammonium hydroxide?

Acetic acid is a clear, colorless liquid with a pungent odor. It has a density of 1.049 g/cm3 and a boiling point of 118.1°C. Ammonium hydroxide is a colorless liquid with a strong, ammonia-like odor. It has a density of 0.89 g/cm3 and a boiling point of 36.7°C.

3. What are the uses of acetic acid and ammonium hydroxide?

Acetic acid is widely used in the production of vinegar, as well as in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries. It is also used as a food additive and preservative. Ammonium hydroxide is commonly used in cleaning products, fertilizers, and as a precursor to other chemicals such as ammonium salts.

4. Are there any health hazards associated with exposure to acetic acid and ammonium hydroxide vapors?

Both acetic acid and ammonium hydroxide can be irritating to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system when in vapor form. Prolonged exposure to high concentrations of these vapors can also cause damage to the lungs and can be harmful if ingested. It is important to handle these substances with caution and to use appropriate safety measures when working with them.

5. Can acetic acid and ammonium hydroxide vapors react with other substances?

Yes, acetic acid and ammonium hydroxide can react with other substances in certain conditions. For example, acetic acid can react with metals, forming a flammable and potentially explosive gas. Ammonium hydroxide can also react with acids, releasing ammonia gas. It is important to handle these substances carefully and to avoid mixing them with incompatible materials.