Balancing Reaction of Formic Acid and Ammonium Hydroxide

In summary, when reacting 1 mole of ammonium hydroxide with 0.1 mole of formic acid, the more accurate chemical equation is NH3 + HCOOH → HCOONH4, with no water produced. This reaction has a 1:1 mole ratio for ammonia and formic acid, resulting in 0.9 moles of excess ammonia remaining. It is important to consider limiting reagents in chemical reactions.
PCSL
I'd like to write the chemical equation for the reaction of 1 mole of ammonium hydroxide with .1 mole of formic acid. I understand that NH4OH is not ammonium hydroxide, and it is more accurate to write NH3, implying NH3 (ammonia) + HCO2H (formic acid) --> NH4HCO2 (ammonium formate) but would there also be water produced from the reaction? Also this reaction has a 1:1 mole ratio for the ammonia and formic acid so would I also add a term on the right for excess ammonia that does not react? Thanks for the help - I haven't had a chemistry course in years.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
PCSL said:
implying NH3 (ammonia) + HCO2H (formic acid) --> NH4HCO2 (ammonium formate)

That's a reasonably correct depiction of what is happening. There is no water produced.

would I also add a term on the right for excess ammonia that does not react?

No. Google limiting reagent.

Borek said:
No. Google limiting reagent.

Perfect - so I could just write NH3+.1*HCO2H --> .1NH4HCO2 with .9 moles of ammonia in excess? Thanks.

Not exactly. You don't use numbers of moles in the balanced reaction - only stoichiometric coefficients. So your reaction, when balanced, should look like

NH3 + HCOOH → HCOONH4

(I am used to a bit different convention for writing carboxylic acids and their salts, nothing wrong with the one you use though).

And then you can describe what is happening in your particular case. Eons ago I was trained to write it below the reaction equation (but formatting such things these days is getting ridiculously time consuming).

And yes, there is 0.9 moles of the ammonia left after the reaction.

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between formic acid and ammonium hydroxide?

The chemical equation for the reaction between formic acid (HCOOH) and ammonium hydroxide (NH4OH) is:
HCOOH + NH4OH → NH4COOH + H2O

2. What is the purpose of balancing a chemical reaction?

Balancing a chemical reaction ensures that the same number of atoms are present on both the reactant and product sides of the equation. It is necessary for the reaction to accurately represent the conservation of mass and follow the law of conservation of matter.

3. How do you balance the reaction between formic acid and ammonium hydroxide?

To balance this reaction, you must first determine the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation. Then, adjust the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) to achieve the same number of atoms on both sides.

4. What are the products of this reaction?

The products of this reaction are ammonium formate (NH4COOH) and water (H2O).

5. Are there any special considerations when balancing this reaction?

Yes, when balancing this reaction, you must ensure that the charges are also balanced. In this case, the charges are balanced since both the reactant and product sides have a net charge of 0.