Acoustic Impendences in this Ultrasound Imaging problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving plotting amplitude of echoes and finding a suitable range for imaging, as well as a mistake made in part b and a correction provided.
nao113
Homework Statement
Problem:a)Plot amplitude of Echoes 3 and 4 as a variety of R = 0-1. Discuss reasonable range of R which is suitable for imaging.
b) R=|z1-z2|/(z1+z2) (acoustic impedances: z1 and z2). Calculate acoustic impedances of fat, water, and other materials composed of human body from multiplication of density by sound speed. Discuss the differences of reflection coefficients between the area 1, which contains water and the other area 2, which contains fat.
c)Discuss about real imaging, by considering the difference in problem b)
Relevant Equations
I put that below
Question:
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 14.59.42.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 14.59.54.png

Answer:
I don't understand about a and c. I just tried to solve b but my answer is still lacking for part b. Can anyone guide me about how to solve these problems and what I did wrong in part b.
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 15.23.19.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
nao113 said:
Homework Statement:: Problem:a)Plot amplitude of Echoes 3 and 4 as a variety of R = 0-1. Discuss reasonable range of R which is suitable for imaging.

I don't understand about a
It is asking you to plot graphs of ##T^2R^3## and ##T^4R## against R, over the range ##0<R<1##, given that ##T=1-R##.

For b, https://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age16-19/Sound/text/Acoustic_impedance/index.html gives a slightly lower value for ##z_{fat}##, making about a 14% difference to the answer. But you should work with whatever values you were given.
You have mistyped a sign in the denominator.

Btw, the word is "artefact", not "arch-fact".

Likes Delta2

1. What are acoustic impedances in ultrasound imaging?

Acoustic impedances refer to the resistance that sound waves encounter when passing through different materials. In ultrasound imaging, it is the difference in acoustic impedances between tissues that allows for the production of images.

2. How do acoustic impedances affect ultrasound imaging?

The differences in acoustic impedances between tissues allow for the reflection and scattering of sound waves, which are then detected by the ultrasound machine to produce an image. The greater the difference in acoustic impedances, the stronger the reflection and the clearer the image.

3. What factors influence acoustic impedances in ultrasound imaging?

Acoustic impedances are influenced by the density and speed of sound in a material. Tissues with higher density and speed of sound have higher acoustic impedances, while those with lower density and speed of sound have lower acoustic impedances.

4. How are acoustic impedances measured in ultrasound imaging?

In ultrasound imaging, acoustic impedances are not directly measured. Instead, they are calculated based on the known speed of sound in different tissues and the time it takes for the sound waves to travel through them and return to the transducer.

5. Can acoustic impedances be manipulated in ultrasound imaging?

Yes, acoustic impedances can be manipulated in ultrasound imaging through the use of contrast agents. These agents have different acoustic impedances than surrounding tissues, allowing for enhanced contrast and clearer images.