1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double pulley problem-difference in acceleration

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    Double pulley problem--difference in acceleration

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8793/picture1jv.png [Broken]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Relevant equations

a= g(M-m)/M+m

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so overall, pulleys just confuse me. We barely mentioned them in class and there's precious little about them in our books. I tried to answer this question and was able to get the first part (a) by finding the above equation on Google. However, as the question would lead you to assume, the answer to be is NOT the same. The problem is, I see no difference other than the fact that a box was replaced by hand. I don't understand why, if the downward force is the same, you would get a different acceleration. Because I don't understand this, it's making it pretty much impossible to know what to change in order to solve part b. I don't even know where to get started...

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Double pulley problem--difference in acceleration

You should learn how this formula was derived using Newton's 2nd law.

To see the difference between the two situations, compare the tension in the rope. Are they the same? Is the tension in version a equal to the weight of the second mass?

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3

I'm still lost. The mass of the hand is probably different from the mass of the block, but as long as the force is the same, I don't see how it would change anything.

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4

I found something in my book that says that a the force T applied at one end of amassless rope is transmitted undiminished to the other end. Does this mean that T=958 N on both sides?

6. Sep 23, 2011 #5

Doc Al

True, if the force were the same then there would be no difference in the two scenarios. But is the force the same?

Answer my question: Is the tension in version a equal to the weight of the second mass?

7. Sep 23, 2011 #6

Doc Al

Yes, for a massless rope the tension is the same throughout.
    What makes you think that that's the tension?

8. Sep 23, 2011 #7

I don't know. It's the opposite of gravity? I know that doesn't work since there's acceleration other than gravity acting in the downward direction, but I don't know how to solve for tension when there are so many variables you don't know.

9. Sep 23, 2011 #8

I'm betting it's not... But I don't know how to calculate it.

10. Sep 23, 2011 #9

Doc Al

You can solve for the tension and the acceleration--which are the only two unknowns in case a--by applying Newton's 2nd law to each mass. Start by identifying the forces on each.

(In case b you are given the tension, so it should be easier to calculate the acceleration.)

11. Sep 23, 2011 #10

I got it right by taking 958-(small mass)(g)=(small mass)(a). I got a=12.99 m/s^2. So, my homework is now done, but even though I figured out the right number, I'm still conceptually having a problem seeing the difference between Case A and Case B.

12. Sep 23, 2011 #11

Doc Al

That's not quite correct. Is it reasonable that the acceleration of the masses would be greater that something in free fall?

Show how you arrived at this result.
    You'll need to redo your solution for case a. Then you can compare the tension in each case. (What's the tension in case b?)

13. Sep 23, 2011 #12

I think I kinda see it now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook