Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Action invariance under galilean boost

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I've been spending a lot of time trying to solve this problem but I can't figure out a good solution.

I have to show that the action of a non-relativistic particle ( Schrodinger density Lagrangian ) is invariant under Galilean boost with the form

ψ(x0,x)→ψ'(x0,x)=eimvx-(im/2)x0v2ψ(x0,x-vx0)

x0= t

I've tried to find the transformed Lagrangian by replacing the wave functions and the derivatives but I'm not sure I did it correctly because I get monstrous expressions

I'm using this density Lagrangian L= ihψ*[itex]\partial[/itex]0ψ+h2/2m([itex]\partial[/itex]iψ*)([itex]\partial[/itex]iψ)

If someone can give me a good tip I'll appreciate it
    thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Ok, hints only, because this is an assignment.

Important fact: Lagrangians are not unique. You can freely add a total divergence to a Lagrangian without changing the equations of motion. And in this example the Lagrangian will not be invariant under the transformation, you will need to add a total divergence.

Let φ(x,t) be the phase factor in front you've added. You'll get three types of terms:

φ*φ x (derivatives on ψ) + ψ*ψ x (derivatives on φ) + (derivatives on both φ and ψ)

The first two types are easily handled. :smile: For terms of the third type you'll need to split off a total divergence, e.g. by throwing derivatives of ψ over onto derivatives of φ.

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3
    I've tried some, the "best" total divergence I've found is ∂i(ψ*φ*∂iψφ)

Fits all the terms on the equation but ( obviously ) φ*∂0φ and also leaves me a term ∂iψ∂iψ* that doesn't appear on the L'

I'm close to the solution ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook