1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Action of a linear operator on vectors

1. May 6, 2013 #1

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Not really a homework problem, just doing some self-studying.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##| a \rangle## by any vector in an ##N##-dimensional vector space ##\mathcal{V}##, and ##\mathbf{A}## a linear operator on ##\mathcal{V}##. The vectors
    $$
    | a \rangle, \mathbf{A} | a \rangle, \mathbf{A}^2 | a \rangle, \ldots, \mathbf{A}^N | a \rangle
    $$
    are linearly dependent. Let ##\mathcal{M} \equiv \text{Span}\{ \mathbf{A}^k | a \rangle\}_{k=0}^N##. Show that ##\mathcal{M}## has the property that for any vector ##| x \rangle \in \mathcal{M}##, the vector ##\mathbf{A} | x \rangle## also belongs to ##\mathcal{M}##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the above vectors span ##\mathcal{M} ##, I can always find ##\{c_k\}## such that I can write
    $$
    | x \rangle = \sum_{k=0}^N c_k \mathbf{A}^k | a \rangle
    $$
    Now, if ##c_N = 0##, and since ##\mathbf{A}## is a linear operator, I have
    $$
    \begin{array}{rl}
    \mathbf{A} | x \rangle & = \mathbf{A} \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} c_k \mathbf{A}^k | a \rangle \\
    & = \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} c_{k} \mathbf{A}^{k+1} | a \rangle
    \end{array}
    $$
    which, by definition, is in ##\mathcal{M}##.

But what if ##c_N \neq 0##? I need to show that ##\mathbf{A}^{N+1} | a \rangle## is in ##\mathcal{M}##. I'm tempted to use the fact that the vectors are linearly dependent to state that I can write
    $$
    \mathbf{A}^{N} | a \rangle = \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} \alpha_k \mathbf{A}^k | a \rangle
    $$
    but nothing guarantees me that ##\mathbf{A}^{N} | a \rangle ## is not orthogonal to the other vectors, or does it?

Any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You can't really write this. Linear dependent means (by definition) that there are scalars ##\alpha_k## which are not all zero such that

[tex]\alpha_0 | a \rangle + \alpha_1 \mathbf{A}| a \rangle + ... + \alpha_N \mathbf{A}^N| a \rangle=\mathbf{0}[/tex]

Now, you have two situations. Either ##\alpha_N\neq 0##, and in that case, you can write something like you wrote in the quote. In the case that ##\alpha_n=0##, you need to do something differently. In this case, they key fact is that at least one of the ##\alpha_k## is nonzero.

You can handle both cases simultaniously by remarking that there exists an ##M\leq N## and ##\alpha_k## scalars such that

[tex]\mathbf{A}^M | a \rangle = \sum_{k=0}^{M-1} \alpha_k \mathbf{A}^k| a \rangle[/tex]

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. May 6, 2013 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This isn't precalculus (although at my university, we studied it before calculus. :smile: ) I'm moving it to calculus & beyond.

5. May 6, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Sorry about that. I hesitated for a while as to which forum to post to.

That sums up my problem quite well. If indeed ##\alpha_N=0##, then ##\mathbf{A}^N | a \rangle## is linearly independent of the other vectors, so what does that say about ##\mathbf{A}^{N+1} | a \rangle##?

Again, I don't see how to treat the case where ##M < N##.

6. May 6, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK. Can you tell me how you would dela with the case ##M=N##? You don't have to write it out completely, a summary would suffice.

7. May 6, 2013 #6

DrClaude

Assuming that
    $$
    \mathbf{A}^N |a \rangle = \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} \alpha_{k} \mathbf{A}^k |a \rangle
    $$
    we have
    $$
    \begin{align}
    \mathbf{A}^{N+1} |a \rangle &= \mathbf{A} \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} \alpha_{k} \mathbf{A}^k |a \rangle \\
    &= \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} \alpha_{k} \mathbf{A}^{k+1} |a \rangle \\
    &= \sum_{k=1}^{N} \alpha_{k-1} \mathbf{A}^{k} |a \rangle
    \end{align}
    $$
    which, by definition of ##\mathcal{M}## is in ##\mathcal{M}##, meaning that ##\mathbf{A} \left( \mathbf{A}^{N} |a \rangle \right) \in \mathcal{M}##, completing the "proof" that ##\mathbf{A} | x \rangle \in \mathcal{M}## for ##| x \rangle \in \mathcal{M}##.

8. May 6, 2013 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Alright. So the basic idea was to multiply by ##\mathbf{A}##.

This doesn't work in the case ##M<N##. But maybe multiplying with something else works? Like ##\mathbf{A}^2## or ##\mathbf{A}^3##?

9. May 6, 2013 #8

DrClaude

Aside: Since I have joined PF, I've mostly posted answers to questions posed by others. It feels very strange to be on the other side. It's been a long time since I've been a student...

Ok, I think I see the light. From the linear dependence of the vectors spanning ##\mathcal{M}##, we have that for some ##M \leq N##
    $$
    \mathbf{A}^M | a \rangle = \sum_{k=0}^{M-1} \alpha_k \mathbf{A}^k | a \rangle
    $$
    with at least one ##\alpha_k \neq 0##. Setting ##p = N-M+1##, we find
    $$
    \begin{align}
    \mathbf{A}^p \mathbf{A}^M | a \rangle &= \mathbf{A}^p \sum_{k=0}^{M-1} \alpha_k \mathbf{A}^k | a \rangle \\
    &= \sum_{k=0}^{M-1} \alpha_k \mathbf{A}^{p+k} | a \rangle \\
    \mathbf{A}^{N+1} | a \rangle &= \sum_{k=p}^{N} \alpha_{k-p} \mathbf{A}^{k} | a \rangle
    \end{align}
    $$
    from which we conclude that ##\mathbf{A}^{N+1} | a \rangle \in \mathcal{M}##.

Hope I got it right. Thanks micromass for the help.

10. May 6, 2013 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's it! Congratz!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted