Action of a symmetry operation on a Bloch state

• I
  • Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
dRic2
Gold Member
Generally speaking, if the Hamiltonian has a specific symmetry defined by an operator M, that is ##[H,M]=0##, when I apply such symmetry operator to a Bloch state I would expect the state to be left unchanged up to a phase:
$$M\ket{ψ_{\mathbf k}}=e^{iϕ(\mathbf k)}\ket{ψ_{\mathbf k}}$$
For the simple case of a translation of a lattice vector R the phase it gets is just ##e^{−i \mathbf k \cdot \mathbf R}##.

What about more complicated symmetries? In my case, I would like to consider a 2D periodic lattice where there is also an additional symmetry called "glide mirror symmetry". This symmetry is composed by a reflection along the x axis (##y \rightarrow −y##) and a translation in the x-direction of half of a lattice vector (##x \rightarrow x - \frac a 2##), where ##a## a is the lattice vector).

If I apply this symmetry to a Bloch state then what is the resulting phase? I get stuck at the very beginning:
$$M \psi_{\mathbf k}(\mathbf x) = e^{-i[k_x(x-\frac a 2)-k_yy]} u(x-a/2, -y)$$

Thanks

(Let's consider spinless electrons, i.e. scalar Bloch states)

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So you start with a Bloch state $$|\psi \rangle = e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot \mathbf{x}} u(\mathbf{x})$$ where ##u(\mathbf{x})## is a real valued function. Applying your glide mirror operator M, $$\begin{align*} M|\psi \rangle &= e^{i (k_x (x-a/2) - k_y y)} u(x-a/2,-y) \\ &= e^{i(k_x a / 2 - 2k_y y)} e^{i\mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{x}} u(x-a/2,-y) \end{align*}$$ You know from the fact that ##M## commutes with the Hamiltonian that ##M|\psi \rangle = e^{i\phi} |\psi \rangle##, so comparing that with the above result: $$u(x,y) = u(x-a/2,y)$$ $$\phi = -k_x a / 2 - 2k_y y$$

Edit: This post is just wrong. Skip down to post #6.

Last edited:
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, thanks for the answer.
I arrived at the same conclusion, but I posted because I felt weird about the phase being position-dependent (## 2k_y y##). But now that you also suggested the same solution I think it does make sense that the phase is position-dependent. In fact, for example, the point on the x-axis (y=0) are not affected by the Mirror-symmetry and their phase would be just ##\phi=-k_xa/2## (as expected by a translation). On the other hand, the more I move far away from the x-axis, the more the mirror symmetry will be "important".

Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I had the same gut reaction, but I felt ok with after realizing the Bloch phase ##\phi = \mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{x}## is also position-dependent.

dRic2
Gold Member
But wait... something is wrong
$$\hat M \hat H \ket{\psi_k} = \hat M E_k \ket{\psi_k} = E_k e^{i\phi}\ket{\psi_k}$$
While
$$\hat H \hat M \ket{\psi_k} = \hat H e^{i\phi}\ket{\psi_k}$$
if ##\phi=-k_xa/2 - 2k_yy## and ##\hat H = - \partial^2_x + V(x)## then:
$$\hat H e^{i\phi}\ket{\psi_k} = - \partial^2_x(e^{i\phi}\ket{\psi_k}) + V(x)e^{i\phi}\ket{\psi_k}$$
$$- e^{i\phi}\partial^2_x(\ket{\psi_k}) - k_y^2e^{i\phi}\ket{\psi_k} + e^{i\phi}V(x)\ket{\psi_k}$$
$$e^{i\phi}[- \partial^2_x + V(x)]\ket{\psi_k} - k_y^2e^{i\phi}\ket{\psi_k} = e^{i\phi}(\hat H -k_y^2)\ket{\psi_k} \neq \hat M \hat H \ket{\psi_k} $$

which contradicts the assumption ##[H,M]=0##

Did I make a mistake?

Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You're right. I forgot something silly, and my last post was dead wrong. The glide mirror symmetry behaves exactly like a mirror symmetry in non-periodic situations. The reason is that $$\hat{M}^2 \psi(\mathbf{x}) = \psi(x-a,-(-y)) = e^{ik_x a} \psi(\mathbf{x})$$ since a is the lattice interval and ##\psi(\mathbf{x}) = e^{i \mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}u(\mathbf{x})##. This means that the phase ##\phi## defined by $$\hat{M} \psi(\mathbf{x}) = e^{i\phi} \psi(\mathbf{x})$$ must be a root of $$\left(e^{i\phi}\right)^2 = e^{ik_x a}$$ wich implies $$\phi = \frac{k_x a}{2} + \pi N$$ for any integer ##N##. In a much prettier form, you can say $$\hat{M} \psi(\mathbf{x}) = \pm e^{ik_x a / 2} \psi(\mathbf{x})$$ I think you'll find it easy to prove that this commutes.

dRic2
Gold Member
This leaves me with one last question: do you think that the phase induce by any symmetry has to be position-independent? I mean the reasoning of post #5 should be quite general for any operator does is supposed to commute with H, right?

Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
do you think that the phase induce by any symmetry has to be position-independent?

The phase of the Bloch wavefunction scales with position, so I don't see a problem. I'm sure you could derive a general constraint by solving the equation $$[\hat{Q},-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 + V(\mathbf{x})]\psi = 0$$