Action Principles in Continuum Mechanics?

In summary, the book "Hamilton's Type Principle in Fluid Dynamics" by Angel Fierros Palacios claims to derive Navier-Stokes equations from an action principle, but the reviewer says that this is not possible and the book is full of errors.
bolbteppa
Is there any book that does what Landau does in Fluid Mechanics and Theory of Elasticity, only using a Lagrangian/Action-principles the whole way through?

I can really only find brief tiny descriptions like this one in books on other topics, is there nothing that does for fluids/elasticity like what Landau does for mechanics and em?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

The only source I know is

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics

It's anyway a marvelous theoretical-physics book series (6 volumes). Particularly vol. 6 about partial differential equations is great.

I once worked this out for myself for a student seminar on hydrodynamics. Unfortunately I have this only in German. Perhaps even this helps a bit, because there are many formulae.

http://theory.gsi.de/~vanhees/faq/hydro/hydro.html
http://theory.gsi.de/~vanhees/faq-pdf/hydro.pdf

I'm very appreciative of your notes, thank you. I will use google translate to refer to them when I sit down to do this properly. I looked in Sommerfeld and from memory found Lanczos gives a better presentation of the same material, but I'll check it again.

Regarding fluid mechanics, my main concern is that one apparently it's been proven that can't derive Navier-Stokes or any viscous fluid dynamics from an action principle (i.e. friction, a velocity dependent potential), so at best we can do chapter 1 of Landau via action principles + Noether's theorem and no more... However this book

www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Type-Principle-Fluid-Dynamics-Magnetohydrodynamics/dp/3211249648/[/URL]

claims to do it, and apparently explains the flaw in the old approach, page 16 - 17:

[url]http://books.google.ie/books?id=ONGsaXO1VToC&lpg=PA18&ots=3Le8YeDRaS&dq=Angel%20Fierros%20Palacios&pg=PA16#v=onepage&q=Angel%20Fierros%20Palacios&f=false[/url]

While it might be cranky, the only review I can find

[url]http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/andp.200610224/abstract[/url]

gives the book a bad review but doesn't even mention this important issue, it gives out about the book for absolutely ridiculous reasons tbh so it's not a credible source.

The other approach is differential forms, which apparently can derive Navier-Stokes nice enough, just have to find a nice presentation.

Anybody have any thoughts on these, it's be great to read them.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist in the field of continuum mechanics, I can understand the desire for a comprehensive book that focuses solely on the use of Lagrangian/Action principles in fluid mechanics and theory of elasticity. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any book that specifically covers these topics in the same depth and approach as Landau's books on mechanics and electromagnetism.

However, I would suggest looking into books that focus on variational principles in continuum mechanics, as these often incorporate the use of Lagrangian/Action principles. Additionally, there are many research papers and articles available that discuss the application of these principles in fluid mechanics and elasticity.

It is also worth noting that while Landau's books are highly regarded and widely used, they are not the only resources available for understanding these concepts. It may be beneficial to explore other textbooks and resources to gain a deeper understanding of Lagrangian/Action principles in continuum mechanics.

Overall, while there may not be a single book that covers these topics in the same way as Landau's books, there are still many valuable resources available for understanding and applying these principles in fluid mechanics and elasticity.

1. What is continuum mechanics?

Continuum mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of materials that can be treated as continuous rather than discrete. It is used to understand the deformation and motion of solids, liquids, and gases under various conditions.

2. What are the basic principles of continuum mechanics?

The basic principles of continuum mechanics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles are used to describe the behavior of materials in a continuous manner.

3. What is the importance of action principles in continuum mechanics?

Action principles, also known as variational principles, provide a systematic and powerful approach to solving problems in continuum mechanics. They allow us to derive governing equations of motion and boundary conditions for a given system, and also provide a way to check the accuracy of numerical solutions.

4. How are action principles applied in continuum mechanics?

Action principles are applied by formulating a functional that represents the total potential energy of the system. This functional is then varied with respect to the dependent variables, resulting in a set of Euler-Lagrange equations that represent the equilibrium equations of the system.

5. What are some examples of applications of action principles in continuum mechanics?

Action principles have a wide range of applications in continuum mechanics, including solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. They are commonly used to analyze the behavior of structures under various loading conditions, study the flow of fluids, and predict the thermodynamic properties of materials.