Book on the mathematical theory of continuum mechanics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
epr2008
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good book on the mathematical theory of continuum mechanics.

I have looked online, and the only ones I can seem to find are like your average physics or applied mathematics book. I want something with rigorous theoretical formulation of the subject. It does not have to be concise, just straightforward and logically assembled. Preferably, it would also provide physical intuition on the subject, although this is not necessary since I can find other books for that.

Also, if you can, please list recommended prerequisites for tackling the book.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Landau Lifschitz collection on theoretical physics has one volume or two ln continuum mechanics. The collection is a bit strange, at least on my view, when compared to other books, but it is worth a try, they are very good.
 
This is a nice set of chapters on classical physics, including elasticity:
http://www.pma.caltech.edu/Courses/ph136/yr2011/

If it isn't what you are looking for, at least the price is right!