1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Actually calculating the Lebesgue Outer Measure of a set

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1
    mtheory-1.png

If you are unfamiliar with that notation, S(A, B) = (A \ B) U (B \ A), which is the symmetric difference.

And D(A, B) = m^*(S(A, B)), which is the outer measure of the symmetric difference.

My issue in this calculation is this: outer measure of a set A is defined in terms of a countable covering of A with intervals I_k. How do you cover something in R^2 with intervals?

My guess on how to solve the problem: D(A, B) = m^*(S(A, B)) = m^*((0, 1]X[0, 1] U [1, 4]X(1, 10) U [0, 1]X[2, 10]) = m^*(0, 1]X[0, 1] + m^*[1, 4]X(1, 10) + m^*[0, 1]X[2, 10] = 1 + 27 + 8 = 36

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2

jgens

Gold Member

The outer Lebesgue measure on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] can be defined in terms of a countable covering by intervals. The outer Lebesgue measure on [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] can be defined in terms of a countable covering by rectangles. This should clear up your confusion.

If you want more information about this, you can read the following wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebesgue_measure#Construction_of_the_Lebesgue_measure

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook