Actually calculating the Lebesgue Outer Measure of a set

In summary, the outer Lebesgue measure on \mathbb{R}^2 can be defined in terms of a countable covering by rectangles, unlike the outer Lebesgue measure on \mathbb{R} which is defined in terms of a countable covering by intervals.
jdinatale
mtheory-1.png

If you are unfamiliar with that notation, S(A, B) = (A \ B) U (B \ A), which is the symmetric difference.

And D(A, B) = m^*(S(A, B)), which is the outer measure of the symmetric difference.

My issue in this calculation is this: outer measure of a set A is defined in terms of a countable covering of A with intervals I_k. How do you cover something in R^2 with intervals?

My guess on how to solve the problem: D(A, B) = m^*(S(A, B)) = m^*((0, 1]X[0, 1] U [1, 4]X(1, 10) U [0, 1]X[2, 10]) = m^*(0, 1]X[0, 1] + m^*[1, 4]X(1, 10) + m^*[0, 1]X[2, 10] = 1 + 27 + 8 = 36

Physics news on Phys.org
jdinatale said:
My issue in this calculation is this: outer measure of a set A is defined in terms of a countable covering of A with intervals I_k. How do you cover something in R^2 with intervals?

The outer Lebesgue measure on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] can be defined in terms of a countable covering by intervals. The outer Lebesgue measure on [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] can be defined in terms of a countable covering by rectangles. This should clear up your confusion.

If you want more information about this, you can read the following wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebesgue_measure#Construction_of_the_Lebesgue_measure

1. How is the Lebesgue Outer Measure of a set calculated?

The Lebesgue Outer Measure of a set is calculated by taking the infimum (greatest lower bound) of the sum of the lengths of all intervals that cover the set. This can be represented as: m*(E) = inf Σ|I_n|, where m*(E) is the Lebesgue Outer Measure of the set E and |I_n| represents the length of each interval.

2. Can the Lebesgue Outer Measure of a set be negative?

No, the Lebesgue Outer Measure of a set cannot be negative. It is always a non-negative real number or positive infinity.

3. How does the Lebesgue Outer Measure differ from the Lebesgue Measure?

The Lebesgue Outer Measure is a generalization of the Lebesgue Measure and is defined for all sets, while the Lebesgue Measure is only defined for measurable sets. The Lebesgue Outer Measure can be larger than the Lebesgue Measure, as it takes into account all possible coverings of a set, while the Lebesgue Measure only considers a specific type of covering.

4. Is the Lebesgue Outer Measure a countably additive measure?

No, the Lebesgue Outer Measure is not a countably additive measure. This means that the measure of the union of countably many disjoint sets may not be equal to the sum of their individual measures. However, it is countably subadditive, meaning that the measure of a union of countably many sets is always less than or equal to the sum of their individual measures.

5. Can the Lebesgue Outer Measure be used to calculate the volume of a set in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Lebesgue Outer Measure can be used to calculate the volume of a set in any number of dimensions. It is a generalization of the concept of length, area, and volume in one, two, and three dimensions, respectively.