Add 3 Vectors: Mag & Dir Calculations

In summary, the problem involves three vectors A, B, and C, each with a magnitude of 50 units and directions of 20°, 160°, and 270° relative to the positive x-axis. The task is to calculate the magnitude and direction of the sum and difference of these vectors, as well as the scalar multiple of vector A and C. The approach involves drawing a better picture with the vectors starting at the origin and using the head to tail method to add the vectors. The angles should be plotted accurately using a protractor for better precision.
Kathy W

Homework Statement

Three vectors, A, B and C each have a magnitude of 50 units. Their directions relative to the positive direction of the x-axis are 20°, 160° and 270°, respectively. Calculate the magnitude and direction of each of the following vectors.
a)[/B]→A+ →B+ →C
b)
A− →B+ →C
c)
2 ( →A+ →C)

Homework Equations

sine=O/H
cos=A/H
Tan=O/A

A^2+B^2=C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2015-7-14_19-16-23.png

So I think I'm fine at figuring out the trig once I've set up the question/diagram of the vectors. Pictured above is my attempt as to what I assume the question is describing that the vectors are supposed to look like, but I am unsure about vector C which is 270 degrees. I feel like I might just be overlooking a minor detail foolishly but I am quite stuck! Does this look correct to anyone? Or does anyone interpret the question differently? Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a better picture.

Compute x and y components of each vector.

Compute the desired sums and differences as x and y components.

1) I am curious as to how you managed to get 20 + 120 to add up to 160.

2) I think you are missing the point of drawing the vectors head to tail in the order specified by each part of the question.

+1

Better drawing required as your current one has errors. Read the problem statement again and use a protractor to plot the angles. Note that when drawing the problem statement all three vectors start at the origin. You might find there is some symmetry that can help simplify things later.

Read up on the head to tail method to add the vectors and do separate drawings for each of a to c.

Likes Dr. Courtney

1. What is the formula for adding three vectors in terms of magnitude and direction?

The formula for adding three vectors is as follows:
Resultant magnitude = √(A^2 + B^2 + C^2 + 2ABcosθ + 2BCcosφ + 2CAcosγ)
Resultant direction = tan^-1 [(A sinθ + B sinφ + C sinγ)/(A cosθ + B cosφ + C cosγ)]
Where A, B, and C are the magnitudes of the three vectors, and θ, φ, and γ are the angles they make with the x-axis.

2. Can vectors with different directions be added together?

Yes, vectors with different directions can be added together. The resultant vector will have a magnitude and direction that depends on the individual magnitudes and directions of the original vectors.

3. What is the difference between adding vectors graphically and using the magnitude and direction formula?

Adding vectors graphically involves drawing the vectors to scale and using a ruler and protractor to determine the resultant vector's magnitude and direction. Using the magnitude and direction formula involves using the magnitudes and angles of the vectors to calculate the resultant vector's magnitude and direction mathematically.

4. Is the order of adding vectors important?

Yes, the order of adding vectors is important. The resultant vector will have a different magnitude and direction depending on the order in which the vectors are added. This is known as the commutative property of vector addition.

5. Can the magnitude of a resultant vector be larger than the sum of the individual vector magnitudes?

Yes, the magnitude of a resultant vector can be larger than the sum of the individual vector magnitudes. This occurs when the vectors are added at angles that are not 180 degrees apart. In this case, the vectors are not canceling each other out, and the resultant vector's magnitude will be larger than the sum of the individual vector magnitudes.