Add forces as vectors help - Thanks

In summary, the conversation discusses a question and its solution involving vectors and determining acceleration. The first case involves two perpendicular vectors of 20N and 15N at 90 degrees, while the second case has a non-90 degree angle. The solution involves finding the resultant vector using Pythagorean theorem and using trigonometry to determine the angle.
nukeman

Homework Statement

I am not understanding this. This is the question, and the correct solutions for the question I need help with.

I really don't understand how to get the answer here! Can anyone help me? First steps?

Question:
xrm37.jpg

Answer:

2l9z61.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you confident with the idea that you have 2 forces which are vectors.
In the first case the vectors (20N and 15N) are at 90 degrees. To find acceleration you divide F by m (5kg) giving 2 acceleration vectors 4 and 3 at 90 degrees.
You need to find the resultant of these 2 perpendicular vectors (pythagoras !)
In the second case the logic is the same but the angle is not 90 degrees.
Is this any help?

I understand how to get (4i + 3j) but how did they eventually come up with 5 m/s^2 at 36.9 degreeS?

The magnitude of the vector comes from the pythagorean theorem by treating the two vectors as perpendicular sides of a triangle. Trig is the best way to get the angle. How's your trig?

I am happy to assist you with your question. The concept of adding forces as vectors can be confusing at first, but it is a fundamental concept in physics. Essentially, when we add forces as vectors, we are considering both the magnitude and direction of each force in relation to each other. This allows us to determine the overall effect of multiple forces acting on an object.

To get started, it is important to draw a diagram showing all the forces acting on the object. This will help you visualize the direction and magnitude of each force. Next, we can use vector addition to find the resultant force. This involves adding the individual components of each force in a specific order, typically using the head-to-tail method.

Once you have determined the resultant force, you can use it to solve for any other variables in the problem, such as acceleration or velocity. It is also important to keep in mind the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion when working with forces.

I hope this helps you understand the concept of adding forces as vectors. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Remember, practice makes perfect, so keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with this concept. Good luck with your homework!

1. What are vectors in physics?

Vectors in physics are quantities that have both magnitude (size or amount) and direction. They are represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you add forces as vectors?

To add forces as vectors, you first need to determine the direction and magnitude of each force. Next, you can use the parallelogram method or the head-to-tail method to add the forces together. This will result in a new force vector, which represents the combined effect of the original forces.

3. Why is it important to add forces as vectors?

Adding forces as vectors allows us to accurately represent and understand the effects of multiple forces acting on an object. It also allows us to calculate the resulting net force, which is crucial in determining the motion of an object.

4. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include temperature, mass, and energy, while examples of vector quantities include velocity, force, and acceleration.

5. Can you give an example of adding forces as vectors?

Sure! Let's say there are two forces acting on an object: a 10 Newton force pushing to the right and a 5 Newton force pushing to the left. To add these forces as vectors, we would draw an arrow 10 units long to the right and an arrow 5 units long to the left. Next, we would connect the tail of the first arrow to the head of the second arrow, and the resulting vector would be the sum of the two forces, which in this case is a 5 Newton force to the right.