1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Add forces as vectors help - Thanks!

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am not understanding this. This is the question, and the correct solutions for the question I need help with.

I really dont understand how to get the answer here! Can anyone help me? First steps?

Question:
    xrm37.jpg

Answer:

2l9z61.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    Are you confident with the idea that you have 2 forces which are vectors.
    In the first case the vectors (20N and 15N) are at 90 degrees. To find acceleration you divide F by m (5kg) giving 2 acceleration vectors 4 and 3 at 90 degrees.
    You need to find the resultant of these 2 perpendicular vectors (pythagoras !!!)
    In the second case the logic is the same but the angle is not 90 degrees.
    Is this any help?

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    I understand how to get (4i + 3j) but how did they eventually come up with 5 m/s^2 at 36.9 degreeS?

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4
    The magnitude of the vector comes from the pythagorean theorem by treating the two vectors as perpendicular sides of a triangle. Trig is the best way to get the angle. How's your trig?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook