1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding a mass on an oscillation causing a change in frequency

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin uniform rod of mass m is suspended from one end and oscillates with a frequency f.
    If a small sphere of mass 2m is attached to the other end, does the frequency increase or decrease?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have reached a conclusion that the frequency would decrease but im not sure exactly why. Is it because the amplitude would become bigger?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

No, it's not because of the amplitude.

Is this talking about a pendulum? What do you know about pendulums? Any formulas?

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3
    i know that pendulums work due to the concervation of energy but i dont understand how this could be about a pendulum.

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
    Unless the P.E becomes greater when mass and since P.E=K.E, K.E becomes greater. But i dont understand how this would change the frequency.

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What can you say about the period of a pendulum?

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6
    kavipach: What is the equation for frequency of a pendulum?

If you look closely, there are only two variables in that equation. Is mass one of them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook