1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding and Subtracting vectors; Finding change in velocity

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A batsman hits a cricket ball travelling towards him at 30m/s over square leg at 50m/s. If the cricketer is facing north and square leg is west of him, what is the change in velocity of the ball?

2. Relevant equations

Δv= Final velocity subtract initial velocity.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've attached a picture of my working, so you might be able to see where I've gone wrong. From this diagram, I got correct the final "speed" but not the direction. My answer was Δv=58m/s N59°W, but the answer given says the direction should be W31°N.
    I got my answer through tan-1(50/30) or tan-1(opposite over adjacent). To get the answer given, you would have to (by my reckoning) use adjacent over opposite, which doesn't seem to be right. Do I have θ in the right place? And, if so, why?

Thanks for the help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2
    Aren't they the same?

4. Mar 31, 2013 #3
    ... Are you serious?? Wow, I'm feeling kind of dumb now... Thank you though!! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted