1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding and Subtracting Vectors of Different Directions

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the initial velocity of 6m/s[North] and the final velocity of 3m/s[East], how would you find the change in velocity?

2. Relevant equations
    Change in velocity= final velocity- inital velocity

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to do this. I know that if the directions were opposite, like north and south, I could make one direction negative and one positive and then subtract, and the sign infront of my answer would tell me the direction of my answer. But, I don't know what to do when the directions aren't opposites, like north and west or south and east. Is there a method for adding and subtracting vectors of different directions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2016 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes. Googling vector addition should give you a pretty clear idea how to go about it.

Essentially, you break each vector into its x and y (and possibly z) components. But Google it for the specifics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted