Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding silver to bronze in foundry

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    Hi I am just curious as to how to add silver and tin to bronze to change its sound.... I am making some musical instruments that need to have these metals included for resonance. Being an artist with a small foundry just for casting my own work I have no experience in the production of alloys .... although I have some experience with the process of investment casting and a little in sand and ceramic shell. I have copper, tin, silver and am thinking of maybe adding antmony . If it is easier I can get recycled bronze and just add the extras to that ...maybe......? Would be grateful for any help or to be pointed in the right direction for help
    Greg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What dictates that silver and tin need to be added for resonance?

Just interested!

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    As far as I know you can add lead as well...some how the sound quality changes to what is wanted for bells,cymbals etc. I think maybe my word resonance may have been incorrect. These softer metals seem to maybe slow the sound waves and create undertones that just make for a nicer sound. I am wanting to add silver instead of lead because it just is nicer to work with. But I do not really know in a scientific sense why this happens. I guess my question really lies in basic metallurgy of which I am becoming more and more interested. Still keen to know how to mix these metals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook