Adding to the scientific body of knowledge?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a biology paper on Clathrin Coated Vesicles and how the findings in the paper contribute to the scientific body of knowledge. The question at the end is asking for an evaluation of the paper's contribution and potential impact, potentially looking at new information or techniques that were introduced. It is important to consider the current state of knowledge and how the paper's findings contrast with previous views. Additional contributions such as new reagents or protocols should also be discussed.
Ghost803
What exactly does this mean? I have a paper due in Biology, where I had to read a research paper on Clathrin Coated Vesicles and answer some questions.

Well that was kind of easy, until I got to the end and it asked "How do the findings in this paper contribute to the scientific body of knowledge?"

And I am confused as to what the professor is asking me. My first reaction is just to put down whatever the paper proved, but some how that seems wrong and I feel like this is a trick question.

Anyone know what that sentence means?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the question is if anything new was learned that is not in the scholar textbooks yet, or maybe the results of that paper were challenging previous scholar assumptions.

Ghost803 said:
Well that was kind of easy, until I got to the end and it asked "How do the findings in this paper contribute to the scientific body of knowledge?"

And I am confused as to what the professor is asking me. My first reaction is just to put down whatever the paper proved, but some how that seems wrong and I feel like this is a trick question.

Anyone know what that sentence means?
This is the part where you have to read more than just the paper you have been assigned - you have to survey the state of knowledge within the specific field prior to the publication of this paper, and evaluate the role of the chosen paper. Start with the references cited in the introductory section of the paper.

Just to echo what others have said. It seems to me you want to focus on the RESULTS. Was there anything found there that was surprising?

Edit: Perhaps there are clues in the conclusions?

billiards said:
Just to echo what others have said. It seems to me you want to focus on the RESULTS. Was there anything found there that was surprising?

Edit: Perhaps there are clues in the conclusions?

That's exactly what is throwing me off. Cause the question before this was "What are the findings of this paper, and how does this contrast with current accepted views?"

So it seems like it is asking the same question twice.

What are the findings of this paper, and how does this contrast with current accepted view

Current accepted view meaning how does the conclusions of the paper differ from what we think now? This would be different from asking how the conclusions of the paper differ from what was thought then

Office_Shredder said:
Current accepted view meaning how does the conclusions of the paper differ from what we think now? This would be different from asking how the conclusions of the paper differ from what was thought then

My bad , I accidentally threw the current in there. "it was contrast with accepted views".

I think then that this question is may be asking how does the paper contribute to the current scientific body of knowledge. Let's say you are reading about the gold foil experiment. When it was run, it gave results contrary to that expected by the plum pudding model. It contributes to the current body of knowledge by providing the first evidence for the atomic model described 2 years after the experiment. So two subtle but distinct points to be made there

Other ways of adding to the scientific body of knowledge include contributing new reagents, experimental protocols, or instruments. For example, if the authors generated new reagents to study clathin-coated vesicles (siRNAs, antibodies, drugs, etc.) or new protocols for studying them (reconstitution methods, imaging protocols), etc., these would be things you could discuss that would go beyond talking about how the paper addresses the biology of clathrin-coated vesicles. For these types of contributions, it's important to discuss how widely applicable these new reagents and methods are (for example, are they only applicable to studying certain questions about clathin? Can they be used to study related processes involving clathrin? Can they be used in other areas of biology?).

1. What is the purpose of adding to the scientific body of knowledge?

The purpose of adding to the scientific body of knowledge is to advance our understanding of the natural world and to improve our ability to make informed decisions and solve problems. By conducting research and publishing our findings, we contribute to the collective knowledge of humanity and pave the way for future discoveries and innovations.

2. How do scientists ensure the accuracy and reliability of their contributions to the scientific body of knowledge?

Scientists use rigorous methods and protocols, such as controlled experiments and peer review, to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their contributions to the scientific body of knowledge. This involves replicating experiments, analyzing data, and critically evaluating the work of others in the same field.

3. What are the benefits of adding to the scientific body of knowledge?

Adding to the scientific body of knowledge benefits society in many ways. It can lead to new technologies, treatments, and solutions to global challenges. It also allows us to better understand the world around us and make evidence-based decisions. Additionally, it provides opportunities for collaboration and growth within the scientific community.

4. How do scientists determine what research topics will contribute to the scientific body of knowledge?

Scientists often identify research topics based on gaps in current knowledge, emerging trends and technologies, and societal needs. They also consider the potential impact and relevance of their research in advancing the scientific body of knowledge.

5. How does adding to the scientific body of knowledge benefit future generations?

Adding to the scientific body of knowledge benefits future generations by building upon previous discoveries and expanding our understanding of the natural world. This allows for continued progress and innovation, ensuring that future generations have the knowledge and tools to address new challenges and improve the quality of life for all.