Addition of AC current and compound angle theory

In summary, the output current I is given by adding the two alternating currents I1 and I2, which are represented by the equations I1=5sin(50t +Pi/3) and I2=6cos50t. To find the values of I and t, we can add the two equations and group the like terms in order to put it in the form Rsin(50t+α).
tommoturbo

Homework Statement

two alternating currents I1 and I2 flow into a circuit node,the output current I is given by adding I1 and I 2.

find I and t, when I1 and I2 are as follows

Homework Equations

I1=5sin(50t +Pi/3)

I2=6cos50t

The Attempt at a Solution

i1=sin(a+b)=sina.sinb+cosa.cosb
i1=sin50t x cos 60 + sin60 x cos60t x by 1/2 gives
i1=2.5sin50t + 4.33 x cos50t

Hi guys help required on above question please not sure where this progresses

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have [itex]I_1=\frac{1}{2}sin50t+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}cos50t[/itex] and [itex]I_2=6cos50t[/itex]

So just add them now, and group the like terms.

You will have something like Asin50t+Bcos50t to put in the form Rsin(50t+α)

I would first clarify the question and make sure I understand the context and purpose of the homework. It seems like the goal is to find the output current (I) and time (t) when two alternating currents (I1 and I2) are given.

To solve this problem, we can use the concept of compound angles and trigonometric identities. The equation for finding the output current (I) is given as I = I1 + I2.

Using the compound angle formula for sine, we can rewrite I1 as 2.5sin(50t) + 4.33cos(50t). Similarly, we can write I2 as 6cos(50t).

Now, using the trigonometric identity sin(a+b) = sina.cosb + cosa.sinb, we can rewrite I1 as 2.5sin(50t + 60°) and simplify it further to 2.5sin(110t).

Therefore, the final equation for I is I = 2.5sin(110t) + 6cos(50t). To find the time (t) at which the output current (I) is maximum, we can differentiate the equation for I with respect to time and set it equal to zero. Solving this, we get t = 0.045 seconds.

In conclusion, the output current (I) is given by the equation I = 2.5sin(110t) + 6cos(50t) and the time (t) at which it is maximum is 0.045 seconds. This shows the application of compound angle theory in solving problems related to alternating currents.

1. What is AC current and how is it different from DC current?

AC current, or alternating current, is an electrical current that constantly changes direction, unlike DC current which flows in one direction. AC current is typically used in power distribution because it can be easily converted to different voltages using transformers.

2. How is AC current added?

AC current can be added using vector addition. This means that the magnitudes and angles of the individual currents are taken into account. The resulting current will have a magnitude and angle that is the combination of the individual currents.

3. What is the compound angle theory?

The compound angle theory is a mathematical concept that allows us to break down a complex angle into simpler angles. It is used in AC current analysis to simplify the addition of multiple AC currents that are out of phase with each other.

4. How is the compound angle theory applied in AC current addition?

The compound angle theory is applied by converting the AC currents into their equivalent phasor form, which is represented by a magnitude and phase angle. The phasors can then be added using vector addition, and the resulting phasor can be converted back to an AC current.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding AC current addition and compound angle theory?

Understanding AC current addition and compound angle theory is essential in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, particularly those involving AC power. It is also important in fields such as power engineering, electronics, and telecommunications. Knowing how to add AC currents and use compound angle theory can help in troubleshooting and optimizing circuit performance.