1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Additional courses after graduation

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    I am a senior graduating this semester with a B.S. physics degree. Unfortunately, I have not been able to take some of the upper levels (optics, solid state physics) I had wanted to due to scheduling conflicts. Does anyone know if it is possible to take these one or two courses at any other institute?

Also related to the subject, although I would like to go to graduate school, I am putting that plan on hold for now. In the meantime, I am trying to get a job that would boost my credentials when applying to grad schools, such as engineering/research positions. I was wondering if there are courses I could take to build up an engineering or computer science background which would make it easier to get a job in such fields. Thank you for any advice anyone might have.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Couldn't you simply delay graduation by just one semester to take those courses?

4. Apr 28, 2008 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Many (perhaps most) colleges/universities in the U.S. allow people to enroll in individual classes as a "non-degree seeking student" or some similar category, subject to space being available after accommodating regular students. Of course, you'd have to pay tuition and fees, probably at some rate per credit hour.

Our catalog has the following statement:

For upper-level courses you'd probably also have to contact the instructor or department, and get their permission after showing them that you've had the equivalent of their pre-requisite courses.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?