Additional Profile Fields?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Added!Actually thinking a little bit about it makes sense, maths and philosophy are inextricably linked so I posted hasty.'The Road to Reality' opens with a discussion about it and discusses platonic ideals. That is a book I need to enquire again and finish.
Looking for suggestions of new profile fields to add. What information would you like to know about your fellow members and or what information would you like to be able to express? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
favorite philosopher :oldbiggrin:

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
favorite mathematician, physicist, or scientist...

favorite PF Grand Admin...

Likes Wrichik Basu and Greg Bernhardt
Links to published research papers.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks all! Here is what's been added:

Published Papers
Favorite Scientists
Favorite Books
LinkedIn profile page

Likes Wrichik Basu
Two more fields could be added: ResearchGate and ORCID ids. These could be added under the Identities section.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
fresh_42 said:
favorite philosopher :oldbiggrin:
I did not expect that from you. Edit or was that a joke? I don't use emojis!

Likes jedishrfu
Wrichik Basu said:
Two more fields could be added: ResearchGate and ORCID ids. These could be added under the Identities section.
Added!

Likes jedishrfu and Wrichik Basu
pinball1970 said:
I did not expect that from you. Edit or was that a joke? I don't use emojis!
It would tell me the difference between those, who a) understand why we do not discuss philosophy and b) understand that this is not philosophy what we are offered here, and those who do not. Besides it would be interesting to know how many scientists actually name Plato, considering the fact that they usually prefer Plato's heaven of ideals as sufficient criterion of existence.

I mean I won't discuss favorite books or published papers either, so what is the difference? Naming it does not equal debating it.

Likes jedishrfu
I liked the joke better, now you guys ruined it just like Adam on YouTube in Adam Ruins Everything.

Your comment reminds me of a African American humorist who decried the suppression of the Confederate flag saying it told him which places he would not be welcomed at which is in itself a true and sad commentary of our time in the US where we can suppress the outward expression of hatred but can’t eliminate it from the hearts of humanity.

jedishrfu said:
I liked the joke better, now you guys ruined it just like Adam on YouTube in Adam Ruins Everything.

Your comment reminds me of a African American humorist who decried the suppression of the Confederate flag saying it told him which places he would not be welcomed at which is in itself a true and sad commentary of our time in the US where we can suppress the outward expression of hatred but can’t eliminate it from the hearts of humanity.
Reminds me of this one:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pf5-problems-and-errors.968696/page-15#post-6219196
Me, too, liked my ignorance better.

fresh_42 said:
It would tell me the difference between those, who a) understand why we do not discuss philosophy and b) understand that this is not philosophy what we are offered here, and those who do not. Besides it would be interesting to know how many scientists actually name Plato, considering the fact that they usually prefer Plato's heaven of ideals as sufficient criterion of existence.

I mean I won't discuss favorite books or published papers either, so what is the difference? Naming it does not equal debating it.
Actually thinking a little bit about it makes sense, maths and philosophy are inextricably linked so I posted hasty.
'The Road to Reality' opens with a discussion about it and discusses platonic ideals. That is a book I need to enquire again and finish.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What are additional profile fields?

Additional profile fields are extra pieces of information that can be added to a user's profile on a website or platform. These fields can provide more details about a user, such as their interests, location, or job title.

2. Why are additional profile fields important?

Additional profile fields allow for more personalized and detailed profiles, which can help users connect with others who have similar interests or backgrounds. They can also provide important information for businesses or organizations looking to target specific demographics.

3. How can additional profile fields be used?

Additional profile fields can be used in a variety of ways, depending on the platform or website. They can be used for matchmaking or networking purposes, to gather data for research or marketing, or to provide a more comprehensive user profile for personal or professional use.

4. Are there any privacy concerns with additional profile fields?

As with any personal information collected online, there may be privacy concerns with additional profile fields. It is important for websites and platforms to have clear privacy policies and for users to carefully consider what information they choose to share.

5. Can users control which additional profile fields are visible to others?

In most cases, users have the ability to control which additional profile fields are visible to others. This can be done through privacy settings or by choosing which fields to fill out. It is important for users to regularly review their profile settings and adjust them as needed.