Adiabatic compression to ignite gas from 1000°C to 27°C

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Skyblitz
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Hi, I just need help getting started on a question.. I'm not even sure where to begin:

It is desired to ignite a gas at 1000 degrees celsius by compressing it adiabatically to 27 degrees celsius.

a) by what ratio must its volume be changed?

I'm not really sure how to approach this question since it seems so little information is given. Any help is appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What type of gas it is

Is it a monoatomic Or diatomic or polyatomic

For Adiabatic Equation we have

[tex]P_1V_1^{\gamma}=P_2V_2^{\gamma}[/tex]

For ideal gas

PV=nRT
 
Originally posted by Skyblitz
Hm, it does not say :frown:

Is the name of gas stated
 
Unfortunately not.. what I posted in the first message is all that it says. :\
 
At such an high temp u can assume it to be in dissociated form