Adiabatic compression of ideal diatomic gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 10K views
Fizz_Geek
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An ideal diatomic gas, with rotation but no oscillation, undergoes an adiabatic compression. Its initial pressure and volume are 1.9 atm and 0.30 m3. It's final pressure is 2.9 atm. How much work is done by the gas?

P0 = 1.9 atm = 1.93e5 Pa
V0 = 0.30 m3
P = 2.9 atm = 2.94e5 Pa

Homework Equations



PVγ=P0V0γ

Where γ = CP/CV

And for an ideal diatomic gas, we have:

γ=[itex]\frac{7}{5}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



W = [itex]\int[/itex]P dV
= [itex]\int[/itex] P0(V0/V)[itex]\frac{7}{5}[/itex] dV
= P0V0[itex]\frac{7}{5}[/itex](V[itex]\frac{-2}{5}[/itex]-V0[itex]\frac{-2}{5}[/itex])/([itex]\frac{-2}{5}[/itex])

Then we can solve for V from the adiabatic condition, since we were given the final pressure:

PVγ=P0V0γ

Plugging in the values, I get:

V = 0.22 m3

Then, plugging this value into the work equation, I get:

W = -1.85e5 J or 185 kJ of work done by the gas.

Sorry about my notation, I'm new to LaTex. So, did I do this right?

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I did not get your answer.

But if I may:

pVγ = c = p1V1γ

W = ∫pdV = ∫(c/Vγ)dV = c∫V-γdV with your limits (I also got V2 = 0.22).

Also, the work done BY the gas must be a negative number.
 
Last edited:
That's what I was trying to do, but my calculator died, so I was using the graphing calculator app on my phone.

Did you get c = 3.577e4 ?

Then W = - 19 kJ ?

If not, can you just tell me if the method is correct or not? Did I use the right value of gamma and the right equations?

Thanks again!
 
Fizz_Geek said:
That's what I was trying to do, but my calculator died, so I was using the graphing calculator app on my phone.

Did you get c = 3.577e4 ? Yes.

Then W = - 19 kJ ? Yes!

If not, can you just tell me if the method is correct or not? Did I use the right value of gamma and the right equations?

Thanks again!
EDIT:
see above .
You did fine, it was my goof.

I didn't double-check you value of γ though.
 
Last edited:
There is an easier way to do this using [itex]TV^{(\gamma-1)} = PV^{\gamma}/nR = \text{constant}[/itex] to find an expression for ΔT and then use [itex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T = W[/itex] (adiabatic) to find W.

AM
 
Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
There is an easier way to do this using [itex]TV^{(\gamma-1)} = PV^{\gamma}/nR = \text{constant}[/itex] to find the change in temperature and then [itex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T = W[/itex] (adiabatic) to find W.

AM

I didn't think ΔU = CVdT was covered in an intro physics course, then I found it in my Resnick & Halliday ... :redface:

Good thought!
 
Last edited:
Actually, that formula is in my intro book. But how would I use it here? I don't have the value of n.
 
Fizz_Geek said:
Actually, that formula is in my intro book. But how would I use it here? I don't have the value of n.

Don't need it.

T1 = p1V1/nR
T2 = p2V2/nR
ΔT = T2 - T1 = (1/n)(p2V2 - p1V1)/R
ΔU = ncvΔT = W; the n 's cancel out.
cv is the molar specific heat at const. volume. R is the universal gas constant.
 
Last edited: