Calculating the End Temperature of Adiabatic Compression for an Ideal Gas

In summary, the problem involves compressing air at room temperature from atmospheric pressure to 1/15 of the initial volume. The process is assumed to be reversible and adiabatic for an ideal gas with a heat capacity ratio of 5/3. After calculating the temperature at the end of compression using the ideal gas equation, the answer is found to be 1038K. However, after considering the degrees of freedom for air and using a heat capacity ratio of 7/5, the correct answer is determined to be 628K. It is possible that the given numerical answer is incorrect.
Incand

Homework Statement

Air is compressed at room temperature from atmospheric pressure to ##\frac{1}{15}## of the initial volume. Calculate the temperature at the end of compression assuming the process is reversible and adiabatic.

Homework Equations

##pV^\gamma = constant \Longleftrightarrow T \cdot V^{\gamma -1} = constant ##

The Attempt at a Solution

First its not mentioned anywhere in the question this process is for an ideal gas but since the chapter only derived them for ideal gases I'm assuming it is.
So we got
##V_2 = 0.15V_1 = \frac{3}{20}V_1##
##p_1 = 1atm##
##T_1 = 293K##
and for an ideal gas
##\gamma = 5/3##
If i insert the volume and temperature into the equation i get
##T_1V_1^{\gamma -1} = T_2(0.15V_1)^{\gamma -1} \Longleftrightarrow T_2 = T_1(\frac{20}{3})^{2/3} = 1038K##
The answer is supposed to be ##870K## and maybe i am supposed to use the pressure that was given somehow?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Incand said:
and for an ideal gas
##\gamma = 5/3##
This is correct for a monatomic ideal gas.

DrClaude said:
This is correct for a monatomic ideal gas.
So I know that you can approximate ##\gamma## with the degrees of freedom. So since air is mostly made up of Nitrogen and oxygen and they're both come in pairs I would get ##5## degrees of freedom so i would get ##\gamma = \frac{7}{5}##.
But i end up with an answer just as wrong sadly
##T_2 = T_1(20/3)^{2/5) = 628K##
I think ##\gamma## is about correct, if i look up the heat capacity ratio for air at ##20^ \circ C## its about ##1.4##.
Am i supposed to use the pressure anywhere?

Incand said:
So I know that you can approximate ##\gamma## with the degrees of freedom. So since air is mostly made up of Nitrogen and oxygen and they're both come in pairs I would get ##5## degrees of freedom so i would get ##\gamma = \frac{7}{5}##.
But i end up with an answer just as wrong sadly
##T_2 = T_1(20/3)^{2/5) = 628K##
I think ##\gamma## is about correct, if i look up the heat capacity ratio for air at ##20^ \circ C## its about ##1.4##.
Am i supposed to use the pressure anywhere?
That looks right to me. Are you sure about the data of in the problem? Could there be an error in the numerical answer you were given?

DrClaude said:
That looks right to me. Are you sure about the data of in the problem? Could there be an error in the numerical answer you were given?
You're right. I misread ##0.15## when it should be ##1/15##. Thanks for all the help!

1. What is an adiabatic reversible process?

An adiabatic reversible process is a type of thermodynamic process in which there is no heat exchange with the surroundings and the system is able to return to its initial state without any change in entropy. This means that the process is both efficient and reversible, as no energy is lost or gained in the form of heat.

2. What is the difference between adiabatic and reversible processes?

Adiabatic processes refer to those in which there is no heat exchange with the surroundings, while reversible processes refer to those in which the system can return to its initial state without any change in entropy. An adiabatic reversible process combines these two characteristics, meaning that it is both efficient and reversible.

3. What are the applications of adiabatic reversible processes?

Adiabatic reversible processes are commonly used in thermodynamic systems, such as refrigerators and heat engines. They are also important in the study of atmospheric science, as they are used to analyze changes in the Earth's atmosphere and weather patterns.

4. How does an adiabatic reversible process differ from an adiabatic irreversible process?

An adiabatic irreversible process is similar to an adiabatic reversible process in that there is no heat exchange with the surroundings. However, in an irreversible process, the system cannot return to its initial state without an increase in entropy. This means that energy is lost or gained in the form of heat, making it less efficient than an adiabatic reversible process.

5. What are the laws that govern adiabatic reversible processes?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, unless it operates at equilibrium or in a reversible process. Both of these laws apply to adiabatic reversible processes.