Adiabatic evolution and floquet theorem

In summary, it's possible to calculate the Floquet exponents in terms of the eigenvalues of the monodromy matrix if the eigenvalues of A(t) are always imaginary.
paolorossi
Hello everybody,
I'm trying to understand if is possible to say something about the Floquet exponents, in the limit of a very slow changing on time. I try to explain. Given the differential equation
$$
\dot{\vec{v}}(t) = A(t) \vec{v}(t)
$$
with
$$
A(t+T)=A(t)
$$
a monodromy matrix is given by
$$
\Phi(T)
$$
where
$$\Phi(t)$$
is a matrix that is solution of
$$
\dot{\Phi}(t) = A(t) \Phi(t)
$$
and the Floquet exponents can be calculated from the spectrum of this monodromy matrix.
My question is:
can we calculate an expression for the Floquet exponents in terms of the eigenvalues of $$A(t)$$, in the limit $$T\rightarrow \infty$$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Thinking in terms of the quantum adiabatic theorem (QAT), maybe it's possible to do this under some restriction on the eigenvalues of the matrix A(t).

Anyway it's known that the solutions, i.e. the elements of the matrix \Phi, are bounded in time if the eigenvalues of A(t) are always imaginary. If I correctly remember, it's true that, if the eigenvalues of A(t) never cross the imaginary axis, then, when there is almost an eigenvalue of A(t) that has real part positive, the solutions are unbounded in time, i.e. there is almost a Floquet exponent with real part positive.

But, for example, I don't know if it's possible to find an expression of this Floquet exponent in terms of the eigenvalues of A(t). Thinking in terms of QAT, maybe in this limit the Floquet exponents play the role of the Berry phases, but I'm not sure.

I hope that someone that work with this kind of things can give me an help :)

1. What is adiabatic evolution in quantum mechanics?

Adiabatic evolution refers to the gradual change of a quantum system's Hamiltonian over time. This means that the system is evolving slowly enough that it remains in its ground state, and therefore there is no transition to excited states. This process is commonly used in quantum computing and quantum simulation.

2. What is the Floquet theorem?

The Floquet theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that the solutions to a time-dependent Schrodinger equation can be represented as a linear combination of solutions to a time-independent Schrodinger equation. This theorem is useful in the study of adiabatic evolution and allows us to analyze the behavior of a system over time.

3. How does the Floquet theorem relate to adiabatic evolution?

The Floquet theorem is important in the study of adiabatic evolution because it allows us to understand the behavior of a system as its Hamiltonian gradually changes over time. By representing the time-dependent solutions as a linear combination of time-independent solutions, we can analyze the evolution of the system and predict its final state.

4. What is the significance of adiabatic evolution in quantum computing?

Adiabatic evolution is significant in quantum computing because it allows for the manipulation of quantum systems to perform calculations. By gradually changing the Hamiltonian of a quantum system, we can control the system's evolution and use it to solve complex problems that are difficult or impossible to solve with classical computers.

5. Are there any limitations to adiabatic evolution?

While adiabatic evolution has many applications in quantum computing and simulation, it is not always a perfect process. One limitation is that it requires the system to remain in its ground state, which may not always be possible. Additionally, adiabatic evolution can be slow, making it less practical for certain applications. Finally, the success of adiabatic evolution depends on the precise control of the system, which can be challenging in practice.