Adiabatic expansion of a monatomic gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the molar energy of a monatomic gas obeying van der Waals' equation, and uses it to solve for the temperature of the gas after it expands adiabatically in a vacuum. The attempt at a solution involves using the VdW equation to write an expression for dE and dW, and then setting them equal to find an equation in terms of (P,V). However, this equation is not separable and further help is needed.
anchovie

Homework Statement

The molar energy of a monatomic gas which obeys van der Waals' equation is given by

E = (3/2)RT - a/V

V volume, T temperature, a is a constant. Initially you have T1 at V1, and the gas expands adiabatically in a vacuum so that you have V2. What is T2?

Homework Equations

Van der Waals' equation: P = RT/(V - b) - a/V^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Q = 0, so dW = dE. dW = -PdV, and I rewrite P in terms of V and T according to van der Waals' equation, then try to rearrange terms so that I can integrate, but I don't think the terms are separable, and I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong in my approach. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have [itex]dE = (3R/2)dT + (a/V^2)dV [/itex] and you can also write an expression for RdT from the VdW equation. Plug in for RdT from the second into the first, and set dE + PdV = 0. This should leave you with a DE in (P,V). What does it look like? Is this the equation you say is not separable?

What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is the process in which a monatomic gas expands without any heat being added or removed from the system. This means that the internal energy of the gas remains constant during the expansion.

What happens to the temperature during adiabatic expansion?

During adiabatic expansion, the temperature of the gas decreases. This is because the gas is doing work against its surroundings, causing a decrease in its internal energy. This decrease in internal energy is reflected as a decrease in temperature.

How does adiabatic expansion differ from isothermal expansion?

Adiabatic expansion differs from isothermal expansion in that there is no heat transfer involved in adiabatic expansion, while isothermal expansion occurs at a constant temperature. This means that the temperature of the gas remains constant during isothermal expansion, while it decreases during adiabatic expansion.

What is the equation for adiabatic expansion?

The equation for adiabatic expansion is P1V1^γ = P2V2^γ, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume of the gas, P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume of the gas, and γ is the adiabatic index.

What are some real-life examples of adiabatic expansion?

Some real-life examples of adiabatic expansion include the expansion of compressed air in a bike tire as it is released, the expansion of gases in a combustion engine, and the expansion of air in a balloon as it rises in altitude.