Adiabatic expansion of a monatomic gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
anchovie
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The molar energy of a monatomic gas which obeys van der Waals' equation is given by

E = (3/2)RT - a/V

V volume, T temperature, a is a constant. Initially you have T1 at V1, and the gas expands adiabatically in a vacuum so that you have V2. What is T2?

Homework Equations



Van der Waals' equation: P = RT/(V - b) - a/V^2

The Attempt at a Solution



Q = 0, so dW = dE. dW = -PdV, and I rewrite P in terms of V and T according to van der Waals' equation, then try to rearrange terms so that I can integrate, but I don't think the terms are separable, and I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong in my approach. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have [itex]dE = (3R/2)dT + (a/V^2)dV[/itex] and you can also write an expression for RdT from the VdW equation. Plug in for RdT from the second into the first, and set dE + PdV = 0. This should leave you with a DE in (P,V). What does it look like? Is this the equation you say is not separable?