1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between heat capacities and van der Waals equation

1. Oct 26, 2017 #1

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the expression for [itex]c_p - c_v[/itex] for a van-der-waals gas, with the equation of state

[tex]\Bigg{(}p+\dfrac{a}{V^2}\Bigg{)}(V-b)=RT[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically I've proved

[tex]c_p - c_v = \Bigg{[} p + \Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial E}{\partial V}\Bigg{)}_T \Bigg{]}\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial T}\Bigg{)}_p[/tex]

([itex]E[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] are the energy and volume of one mole).

The question states that

[tex]p + \Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial E}{\partial V}\Bigg{)}_T = T \Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial p}{\partial T}\Bigg{)}[/tex]

I don't need to prove this I just need to use it.

So far the only thing that I can come up with is rearranging the van der waals equation in terms of [itex]p[/itex] which gives

[tex]p = \dfrac{RT}{(V-b)}-\dfrac{a}{V^2}[/tex]

Then

[tex]\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial p}{\partial T}\Bigg{)}_V = \dfrac{R}{(V-b)}[/tex]

Which can be substituted into the equation [itex]c_p - c_v[/itex] but rearranging the van der waals formula for [itex]V[/itex] is very tedious. Which leads to believe there is a an easier step. It's an exam question so there much be a neat way to solve this. I want to ask here rather than look up someone else's long winded solution. I'm not looking for the solution I genuinely want to be able to tackle this problem or another problem like it should it come up in the exam

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2017 #2
    Why can't you just differentiate the left side of the equation by the product rule?

4. Oct 26, 2017 #3

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

The van der waals equation?

5. Oct 26, 2017 #4
    Sure.

6. Oct 26, 2017 #5

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

Differentiating the LHS with respect to [itex]T[/itex] and keeping the volume constant I get

[tex]\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial p}{\partial T}\Bigg{)}_V= \dfrac{R}{V-b}[/tex]

Substituting that into my desired equation I get

[tex]c_p - c_v = \Bigg{[}T\Bigg{(}\dfrac{R}{V-b}\Bigg{)}\Bigg{]}\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial T}\Bigg{)}_p[/tex]

7. Oct 26, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might be able to avoid solving for V by using the "reciprocal rule" for partial derivatives $$\left( \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} \right)_z = \frac{1}{\left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} \right)_z}$$

8. Oct 26, 2017 #7

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

Would that mean I could do [tex]\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial V}\Bigg{)}_p[/tex] to solve the VDW equation?

9. Oct 26, 2017 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but I'm not sure what you mean when you say "solve the VDW equation".

10. Oct 26, 2017 #9

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

Van der waals equation of state. Like I did with [tex]\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial p}{\partial T}\Bigg{)}_V[/tex]

11. Oct 26, 2017 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you use the VdW equation of state to find an expression for the partial derivative.

12. Oct 26, 2017 #11

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

I got [tex]\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial V}\Bigg{)}_p = -\Bigg{(}\dfrac{2ab}{V^3} +\dfrac{a}{V^2}- P\Bigg{)} \cdot \dfrac{1}{R}[/tex]

Then inverting this equation yields

[tex]\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial T}\Bigg{)}_p = -\Bigg{(}\dfrac{V^3}{2ab} +\dfrac{V^2}{a}-\dfrac{1}{P}\Bigg{)} \cdot R[/tex]

13. Oct 26, 2017 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first equation looks correct. It involves the three variables P, V, and T. You could use the VdW equation of state to express one of these variables in terms of the other two so that you reduce the number of variables in the expression. For example, you can express P in terms of V and T if you want the final answer to be in terms of V and T.

[EDIT: Sorry. Your first equation does not involve T. But if you use the first equation as you wrote it, your final answer for the difference in specific heats will involve the three variables P, V, and T. You can use the VdW equation to eliminate one of these variables.]

You did not invert the equation correctly. The inverse of the expression ##\frac{2}{3} + \frac{4}{5}## is not ##\frac{3}{2} + \frac{5}{4}##. Rather, it would be ##\frac{1}{\frac{2}{3} + \frac{4}{5}}##.

14. Oct 26, 2017 #13

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

[tex]\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial V}\Bigg{)}_p = -\Bigg{(}\dfrac{2ab}{V^3} +\dfrac{a}{V^2}- P\Bigg{)} \cdot \dfrac{1}{R}[/tex]

Letting

[tex]p = \dfrac{RT}{(v-b)}-\dfrac{a}{V^2}[/tex]

and substituting into my equation for [itex]\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial V}\Bigg{)}_p[/itex] gives

[tex]\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial V}\Bigg{)}_p= -\Bigg{(}\dfrac{2ab}{V^3} +\dfrac{2a}{V^2}- \dfrac{RT}{(V-b)}\Bigg{)} \cdot \dfrac{1}{R}[/tex]

But this still looks hideous even though I have everything in terms of [itex]V, a, b, R[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex]

15. Oct 26, 2017 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks like maybe the sign of the first term is wrong. (I should have caught that earlier.)

It won't be that bad when you put it all together.

16. Oct 26, 2017 #15

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Somehow I overlooked @Chestermiller 's post #2. His suggestion is a nice way to get ##\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T} \right)_p## without needing to use the reciprocal rule. It's a method that is well worth keeping in mind since it can be used in many different circumstances.

At this point, you are almost done with the problem. After finishing it off, if you would like some guidance in this alternate method, let us know.

17. Oct 26, 2017 #16

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

I was thinking cause ]
    Yeah I would love that in the end I got

[tex]\dfrac{T^2(2a-1)}{V^3(V-b)}[/tex] which looks respectable. It's not a homework problem anyway but it was from an exam paper which means it could be something that could come up in the exam. Would you be able to teach the method chester was talking about?

Thanks very much for all the help. You've been more than helpful.

18. Oct 26, 2017 #17

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think this is correct.

You have
    [tex]c_p - c_v = \Bigg{[}T\Bigg{(}\dfrac{R}{V-b}\Bigg{)}\Bigg{]}\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial V}{\partial T}\Bigg{)}_p[/tex]
    This can be written
    [tex]c_p - c_v = \frac{T\Bigg{(}\dfrac{R}{V-b}\Bigg{)}}{\Bigg{(}\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial V}\Bigg{)}_p}[/tex]
    After substituting for the denominator, I don't see how you would get your result.

Yes, certainly.

19. Oct 26, 2017 #18

patrickmoloney

Gold Member

Ok I've tried it using your fraction and got

[tex]\dfrac{RV(V-b)}{4a(\frac{b}{V}-1)}[/tex]
    I've just realised how bad I am at algebra.

20. Oct 26, 2017 #19
    I got $$\frac{R}{1-\frac{2a}{V^3}\frac{(V-b)^2}{RT}}$$

21. Oct 26, 2017 #20

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get the same result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted