Adiabatic, isothermal, or isovolumetric

In summary: It's a homework question and the answers are adiabatic, isovolumetric, isothermal or none. Then the correct answer is "None".
c4iscool
Here's my problem:

300 calories of heat are added to a gas as the internal energy of the gas increases by 500 calories. The described thermodynamic process is best described as?

My guess is that the process is isothermal b/c work is being done in the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since temperature is usually the measure of internal energy, it's unlikely that the internal energy increased without the temperature being changed. So that's probably not an isothermal process.

if that's the case then maybe it's isovolumetric b/c adiabatic can't have heat flow into or out of the system. any other ideas?

c4iscool said:
Here's my problem:

300 calories of heat are added to a gas as the internal energy of the gas increases by 500 calories. The described thermodynamic process is best described as?

My guess is that the process is isothermal b/c work is being done in the system.
In what form is the 200 calories of energy added to the gas (since it is not in the form of heat)? What does that tell you about what happens to the volume of the gas?

What makes you think this is a choice between adiabatic, isovolumetric and isothermal?

AM

It's a homework question and the answers are adiabatic, isovolumetric, isothermal or none. as for your other question about the other 200 calories, I have no clue. but I would think that the volume would stay the same. is that wrong?

Last edited:
c4iscool said:
It's a homework question and the answers are adiabatic, isovolumetric, isothermal or none.
Then the correct answer is "None".

as for your other question about the other 200 calories, I have no clue. but I would think that the volume would stay the same. is that wrong?
As you observed, work is being done on the gas. That is what increases the internal energy of the gas over and above the heat that is added.

AM

1. What is the difference between adiabatic, isothermal, and isovolumetric processes?

Adiabatic, isothermal, and isovolumetric processes are all types of thermodynamic processes that describe how a system changes over time. The main difference between them is how they handle energy transfer. In an adiabatic process, no heat is exchanged between the system and its surroundings. In an isothermal process, the temperature remains constant throughout the process. In an isovolumetric process, the volume of the system remains constant.

2. What is an example of an adiabatic process?

An example of an adiabatic process is the sudden compression or expansion of a gas in a piston without any heat transfer. This is often seen in internal combustion engines, where the fuel-air mixture is compressed rapidly and then ignited, causing an increase in temperature and pressure without any heat being added or removed from the system.

3. How do we calculate the work done in an isothermal process?

In an isothermal process, the temperature remains constant, so the internal energy of the system remains the same. This means that the work done by the system is equal to the heat absorbed or released. The equation for calculating the work done in an isothermal process is W = nRTln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, T is the temperature, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes, respectively.

4. What is the significance of an isovolumetric process?

An isovolumetric process, also known as an isochoric process, is important in understanding the behavior of gases. It helps us understand how pressure and temperature are related in a closed system with a constant volume. In an isovolumetric process, the work done is zero, so all the energy transferred goes into changing the temperature of the gas.

5. What is the difference between adiabatic expansion and isothermal expansion?

The main difference between adiabatic expansion and isothermal expansion is the change in temperature. In an adiabatic expansion, no heat is transferred, so the temperature of the system decreases. In contrast, in an isothermal expansion, the temperature remains constant throughout the process. This is due to the fact that in an adiabatic process, the internal energy of the system decreases, while in an isothermal process, the internal energy remains constant.