1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adjoint of an operator for particles

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let x be the position coordinate for a particle that moves in one dimension and let [tex]p=-i\hbar*d/dx[/tex] be the usual momentum operator . State whether each of the following operators is self-adjoint, anti-self-adjoint([tex]A^{\dagger}
    =A[/tex] , unitary([tex] A^{\dagger}A=1[/tex], or, if none of the above , what the adjoint is:

xxp, xpx, xpp+ppx, d^2/dx^2 , d^3/dx^3,e^p
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I will perform the first operator xxp. [tex]p=-i\hbar*d/dx[/tex], therefore xxp=x^2*[tex]p=-i\hbar*d/dx[/tex]=2*x*[tex]-\hbar*i[/tex]? So would this operator be a self-adjointed one ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    That depends on whether it equals the adjoint. Compute the operator and its adjoint and see if they are equal or not. Remember that [itex](AB)^\dagger = B^\dagger A^\dagger[/itex].
    This is chaotic and probably false. Why would you state that [itex]xxp = -i \hbar \frac{\textrm{d}}{\textrm{d}x} [/itex], when p is [itex]-i \hbar \frac{\textrm{d}}{\textrm{d}x}[/itex]?

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, this is incredibly sloppy notation. Usually one denotes operators with uppercase letters, and an operator's expansion into a certain basis (the x-basis in this case[/itex] is denoted with the symbol [itex]\to[/itex] instead of an equal sign. So, [itex]P\to -i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}[/itex] and [itex]X\to x[/itex] in the x-basis.

Second, the order of multiplication between operators is important (sound familiar?).

[tex]XXP\to x^2\left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)\neq \left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)x^2[/tex]

To determine the nature of its adjoint, you might consider actually computing the adjoint!:wink:...In the x-basis, you have:

[tex](XXP)^{\dagger}\to \left[x^2\left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)\right]^{\dagger}[/tex]

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4
    would I need to prove(or disprove) that [tex] (xxp)^{\dagger}=(xxp),xxp*(xxp)^{\dagger}=1, , and (xxp)^{\dagger}=-(xxp)[/tex]

6. Sep 14, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, it turns out that [itex]XXP[/itex] is anti-self-adjoint....to show that, just calculate [tex]\left[x^2\left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)\right]^{\dagger}[/tex] and compare it to the x-basis representation of [itex]XXP[/itex]...

7. Sep 14, 2009 #6

[tex]xxp^{\dagger}=(-i\hbar*d/dx)^{\dagger}*x^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}=xxp, since x=x^{/dagger}, p=p^{/dagger} [/tex]; If PF doesn't display my Latex code properly, Here is the code I was orginally trying to translate through Latex xxp^{\dagger}=(-i\hbar*d/dx)^{\dagger}*x^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}=xxp, since x=x^{/dagger}, p=p^{/dagger}

8. Sep 14, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]P\neq P^{\dagger}[/itex]...why would you think that they were equal?

And again, order is important (drill that into your head):

[tex](XXP)^{\dagger}\to \left[x^2\left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)\right]^{\dagger}=x^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}\left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)^{\dagger}\neq\left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}[/tex]

The [itex]\dagger[/itex] symbol tells you to take the complex conjugate transpose of each quantity...so do just that! The quantities [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] are scalars, so taking their transpose is trivial....but what about their complex conjugates?

9. Sep 14, 2009 #8
    But according to my textbook[tex](AB)^{\dagger} =(B)^{\dagger}A^{\dagger}[/tex] so therefore [tex](xxp)^{\dagger}=p^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}[/tex] so I don't understand why my expression would be in correct and don't understand why you think your expression is correct

10. Sep 14, 2009 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, sorry , my mistake.

[tex](XXP)^{\dagger}\to \left[x^2\left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)\right]^{\dagger}=\left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}[/tex]

but my other two comments still stand.

11. Sep 14, 2009 #10
    I am kinda of confused because my book(Peebles) gives two definitions for a self-adjoint operator. [tex]Q^{\dagger}=Q[/tex] and the other definition is [tex]c^{\dagger}=c*[/tex] where c* represent the adjoint of ca complex conjugate. For the latter case, the x matrices will not change since they are real numbers and contain no imaginary terms right?

12. Sep 14, 2009 #11
    An operator adjoint to A in a Hilbert space with the product [itex]\langle \ldots;\ldots \rangle[/itex] is an operator B such that for all vectors [itex]\varphi,\psi[/itex]:

[itex]\langle \varphi; A \psi \rangle = \langle B\varphi; \psi \rangle[/itex]

(You can try writing this out in x-representation.)

13. Sep 14, 2009 #12
    [tex](XXP)^{\dagger}\to \left[x^2\left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)\right]^{\dagger}=\left(-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}\right)^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}x^{\dagger }=\left(i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}\right)x*x=2*i\hbar*x[/tex] since by definition, [tex]c=c*[/tex]

14. Sep 14, 2009 #13

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]Q^{\dagger}=Q[/itex] is the definition of a self-adjoint operator.

[itex]c^{\dagger}=c^{*}[/itex] just tells you how to take the adjoint of a complex scalar [itex]c[/itex]. (The fact that [itex]c[/itex] is a scalar tells you [itex]c^{T}=c[/itex], so you don't need to worry about the transpose, just the complex conjugation). [itex]x[/itex] is such a scalar,and is also real valued, so [itex]x^{\dagger}=x^{*}=x[/itex]

Right, [itex](XXP)^{\dagger}=2i\hbar x[/itex]...does that equal [itex]XXP[/itex]? does it equal [itex]-XXP[/itex]? Does the product [itex](XXP)(XXP)^{\dagger}[/itex] equal the identity operator?

15. Sep 14, 2009 #14
    ?
    no.

[tex]XXP(XXP)^{\dagger}=X^2*(-i\hbar*d/dx)2i\hbar x\neq\leftI[/tex] , i.e. not equal to the identity.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  16. Sep 14, 2009 #15

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, so [itex]XXP[/itex] is neither self-adjoint, anti-self-adjoint or unitary.

Now move on to the rest of the operators in your question...

17. Sep 15, 2009 #16
    [tex](xpp+ppx)^{\dagger}=(xpp)^{\dagger}+{ppx}^{\dagger}=p^{\dagger}p^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}+x^{\dagger}p^{\dagger}p^{\dagger}[/tex]. [tex]p^{\dagger}=p*,x^{\dagger}=x. (i*\hbar*d/dx)(-i*\hbar)+x(\hbar)^2*d^2/dx^2=0+0[/tex] Therefore, there it is neither

[tex](xpx)^{\dagger}=x^{\dagger}p^{\dagger}x^{\dagger). xpx=x(-i*\hbar*d/dx)x=-xi\hbar.(xpx)^{\dagger}=x(i*\hbar*d/dx)x=xi\hbar[/tex]. Therefore, operator is anti-self-adjoint.

[tex]e^p=e^(-i*\hbar*d/dx). (e^p)^{\dagger)=e^(i*\hbar*d/dx). (e^p)(e^p)^{\dagger}=e^0=1[/tex]. Therefore, [tex]e^p[/tex] is unitary. not sure how to prove how [tex] d^2/dx^2[\tex] and [tex] d^3/dx^3 [/tex] are adjoint, anti-self-adjoint or unitary.

18. Sep 15, 2009 #17

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex](xpp+ppx)^{\dagger}=(xpp)^{\dagger}+(ppx)^{\dagger}=p^{\dagger}p^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}+x^{\dagger}p^{\dagger}p^{\dagger}[/itex] is correct, but I'm not sure what you're doing after that. (Your [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] is very messy!)

Just use [itex]x^{\dagger}=x[/itex] (since [itex]x[/itex] is a real valued scalar) and [itex]p^{\dagger}=-p[/itex] (Since [itex]\left[-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}\right]^{\dagger}=i\hbar\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] )

That gives you,

[tex](xpp+ppx)^{\dagger}=p^{\dagger}p^{\dagger}x^{\dagger}+x^{\dagger}p^{\dagger}p^{\dagger}=(-p)(-p)x+x(-p)(-p)=ppx+xpp[/tex]

19. Sep 15, 2009 #18
    [tex]
    e^p=e^(p). (e^p)^{\dagger)=1? since p^{dagger}=-p, then (e^p)(e^-p)^{\dagger}=e^0=1
    [/tex] Therefore , [tex]e^p[/tex] is unitary
    Don't know how o show whether or not [tex] d^2/dx^2[/tex] or [tex] d^3/dx^3[/tex] is adjoint, self-adjoint ,unitary , or neither

20. Sep 15, 2009 #19

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's see,

[tex](e^p)^{\dagger}=\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{p^n}{n!}\right)^{\dagger}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(p^n)^{\dagger}}{n!}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(p^{\dagger})^n}{n!}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-p)^n}{n!}=e^{-p}[/tex]

So yes, I would say [itex]e^{p}[/itex] is unitary.

I'd start by defining the operator [itex]D\leftrightarrow\frac{d}{dx}[/itex], then [itex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\leftrightarrow D^2=DD[/itex], then just apply the same reasoning as before.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  21. Sep 15, 2009 #20
    i.e. show that [tex]D^{\dagger}=D[/tex] and [tex](D^2)^{\dagger}=D^{\dagger}D^{\dagger}[/tex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook