carllacan said:
I'm sorry if it is a silly question, but I've looked elsewhere and I haven't found the answer.
Please tell me if any of the following is true:
∂μ† = -∂μ
∂i† = -∂i
∂μ† = -∂μ
∂i† = -∂i
I'm studying QFT and I don't know how to proceed when I have to take the adjoint of a derivative. Sometimes it looks like one of these has to be true, sometimes it doesn't, and I don't know what to think anymore.
Thanks for your time
The adjoint is defined with respect to a notion of a scalar product. Confusingly, there is more than one scalar product involved in QFT. One is the scalar product of two states: Given [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\phi\rangle[/itex], you can form the scalar [itex]\langle \psi|\phi \rangle[/itex]. A second notion of scalar product is the scalar product of two column matrices, which comes up in theories of particles with spin: If [itex]\psi = \left( \begin{array} \\ \psi_1 \\ \psi_2 \\ ... \\ \psi_n \end{array} \right)[/itex] and [itex]\phi = \left( \begin{array} \\ \phi_1 \\ \phi_2 \\ ... \\ \phi_n \end{array} \right)[/itex], then there is a scalar product [itex]\psi^\dagger \phi = \psi_1^* \phi_1 + \psi_2^* \phi_2 + ... + \psi_n^* \phi_n[/itex]
So before you start talking about what the adjoint is, you need to specify what scalar product you're talking about. Sorry for not directly answering, but it's important to be clear about this. If you have a notion of scalar product, [itex]\langle \psi | \phi \rangle[/itex], and [itex]A[/itex] is an operator, then [itex]A^\dagger[/itex] is defined via:
[itex]\langle A(\psi) | \phi \rangle = \langle \psi | A^\dagger (\phi) \rangle[/itex]
In non-relativistic, spinless QM, states are square-integrable functions on space. The scalar product of two states [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] is given by:
[itex]\langle \psi| \phi \rangle = \int dV \psi^* \phi[/itex] (where [itex]dV[/itex] means integrating over all spatial coordinates). For this notion of scalar product, [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}[/itex] is an operator whose adjoint is [itex]- \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}[/itex]:
[itex]\langle \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x^j}| \phi \rangle = \int dV (\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x^j})^* \phi = \int dV \psi^* (- \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x^j})[/itex]