• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Admittance into university abroad

• Schools
  • Thread starter MWH
  • Start date
MWH

Main Question or Discussion Point

I want to study mathematics and/or physics, at this point aiming for doing research in either a field in mathematics or/and (theoretical) physics, although I don't have the required diploma from secondary school. I live in the Netherlands and there are merely laborious, impractical ways to get admitted into university in my case. Sadly, I have to be 21 or older to take an entrance examination. I think I'm ready for university for a couple of reasons, although there are no other than the common ways to get admitted. I'd like to ask whether there are any opportunities for me to get admitted into university abroad and how this can be fulfilled in a time less than a few years. To add, I've heard there are roundabout ways for one to get admitted into university. Is this true, where, and does/could this apply to me too?

Answers and Replies

fss
I don't know how things work in other countries, but in the US it will be hard to get into any physics or math program of repute without a secondary school diploma.

In Switzerland, more specifically at the ETH (where I'm currently studying) I believe you can be admitted by taking an entrance examination at any age, although if you're under 18 you will need your parents consent. The application deadline is something in April I think and the examinations will be in August/September

MWH
I don't know how things work in other countries, but in the US it will be hard to get into any physics or math program of repute without a secondary school diploma.
I do have a secondary school diploma, although its a diploma of higher general secondary education, in contrast to pre-university education. At least here in the Netherlands it is determined what 'level' you will continue studying at in the first year of secondary school. At the time I was 12 years old and in a discouraging environment as regards to studying and thinking about my future. Today I can only regret that and seek for the best solution as I only want to go to university. I'd get admitted into higher vocational education with my diploma. There are a few programs to move up to university for cases like me, although, especially with physics and mathematics, these are very laborious, incomplete and are offered at somewhat distant schools I can only reach by constantly changing transport and it would be roundabout to go and live in lodgings in this case. Lastly, my knowledge about mathematics and/or physics is either adequate or inadequate for a matter of weeks and I've got a certificate in English but thus far this plus my ambitions apparently hadn't been able to get myself admitted in the Netherlands. I've understand it is hard to get into any physics or math program of repute in the US, but what do you think is possible for me in the US, given that I'd show much effort?

In Switzerland, more specifically at the ETH (where I'm currently studying) I believe you can be admitted by taking an entrance examination at any age, although if you're under 18 you will need your parents consent. The application deadline is something in April I think and the examinations will be in August/September
I'm indeed under 18. I'll do some research, although I'd prefer an English speaking country. Would the lack of knowledge of any language except for English and Dutch be an issue if I'd decide to go and study there?

I believe you have to do a language test as part of the examinations, it's in high german. The language test is mandatory even if you have a secondary school diploma, the only way to be exempted from it (as I was) is to get a language certificate (for example a Goethe Certificate, TestDaf, Österreichisches Sprachdiplom C1 or something equivalent), though that's on the ETH. There might be different rules at the EPFL which is in the french-speaking part of Switzerland.

Last edited: