1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Advanced Calculus textbooks that are useful for Cal BC

1. Aug 13, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I will be junior next year in my high school and take Calculus BC. However, I also take Calculus 1&2 Honor in the community college which is known as Orange Coast College ( If anyone has studied here before, please tell me the difference between the content of this course and standard Calculus 2). I already looked up the textbook that this course uses, and it is "Calculus by Spivak". I have heard many comments that this book is very rigorous ( I am ok with it since I have a strong math background), just emphasizes on proof and less practical problems. My question is that besides "Calculus by Spivak" are there any advanced textbooks that helps me to master my Calculus skill, get a high grade on Ap Cal Bc exam and also be ready for Linear Algebra and Cal 3 ( Multivariable Calculus)? I've heard about Apostol and Courant's Calculus and still wonder which one will be useful for my Calculus skill.
    Thank you guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2016 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Spivak is probably enough, if you do it all, including many problems. Courant and Apostol might be useful supplements for a few more applied topics and a different sort of flavor of treatment. I learned something different from all of them. I never took any AP tests, but presume any would serve well as preparation. My advice in preparing for tests is first to know the material well and then practice a few old tests to see how they look.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  4. Aug 13, 2016 #3
    Hi
    Thank you for your advice
    I still have one question for Spivak's book content. Does it cover the differential and parametric equation and will I be fine in Cal 3 after finishit this book ?
    Thanks again

5. Aug 15, 2016 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it may not cover differential equations, for that try martin braun, ordinary diff eq. or courant as i said, for such applied topics. but my point is that if you complete spivak =you will be in a very small subset of all students and have nothing to worry about at all. i mean no disrespect but i doubt you will finish spivak. (i still haven't, 50 years later, or courant either.) indeed, with all respect, i recommend you suspend these questions about things that are years down the line, and just start reading and working problems.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted