Advanced ICE Table (chemical equilibria)

In summary, the Keq for the two reactions are equal, and the equilibrium concentrations can be calculated in terms of formality.
sandbeda

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for equilibrium concentrations in terms of formality f (and Keq) for the compounds in the the equilibrium reactions shown bellow.

Homework Equations

A2 + 2S <---> 2SA
SA <---> S + A

Where S is a substrate (THF) and A is an adduct (BH3). Delta G and thus Keq have been calculated previously. We are supposed to use an ICE-table.
Keq can be expressed in terms of mole fractions, which can be expressed in terms of a,b,f and m (obtained from eq in the ICE table), and then using the Keq for each reaction I need to solve for a and b (to plug into the equilibrium equations obtained from the ICE table, and thus find equilibrium concentrations in terms of formality f).

The Attempt at a Solution

f = formality, m = coefficient allowing use to write formality of S in terms of f
a and b are simply coefficients to express change. Periods are used instead of spaces because extra spaces are deleted when saved.

...A2...+...2S <--->...2SA....SA <--->...S...+...A
I...f....mf....0.....0...0...0
C1...-af.....-2af...+2af...+2af.....-2af
C2......+2bf...-2bf....-2bf...+2bf...+2bf
eq...f(1-a)...2f(2b-2a+m)...2f(a-b)...2f(a-b)...2bf...f(2b-2a+m)

there are several approximations I can make: m>>b>a. I can always end up with the demoninator of the approximated mole fraction to be 2fm, but I can't seem to make any approximations to solve for a and b. If you are unfamiliar with such procedures I can explain in more detail, for some reason when I post the formating of the ICE-table is changed and makes it very difficult to read. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keq of what reaction do you know?

The compounds A and S represent are shown above: BH3 and THF (tetrahydrofuran) respectively.

That's not what I asked, sorry if I wasn't clear.

You listed two consecutive reactions, but only one Keq. How are these reactions related to the Keq?

Keq for each reaction (there is one Keq for each reaction) are equal the the mole fractions of products over reactants (raised to the coefficient for that molecule). The mole fractions are obtained by dividing the equilibirum concentration by the sum of all the equilibrium concentrations. The Keq are known, formality f is a variable, while a and b need to be solved for to generate equations for the equilibrium concentrations. Using some approximations a and b should be able to be solved for, but I can not seem to do it with the approximations seem reasonable.

My ICE-table gets automatically formatted when I post it, I could try using periods instead of spaces.

OK, so you have TWO KEq values, one for each reaction, from the way you worded the problem initially I got the impression you have only one value.

I have never seen ICE table used this way, and I don't think what you wrote is right. In the line C1 you wrote that concentration of A changed by -2af. Did it? If so, how come concentration of A changes but concentration of S doesn't at the same time in the same way? ICE table simply helps you keep track of the reaction stoichiometry, as S & A are products of the same reaction their concentration must go up at the same time and at the same rate; they are not consumed in the same way, but that will be accounted for in C2 line.

Show what equations you got from the ICE table (use LaTeX for that). And please list what are Keq values - not knowing them it is impossible to decide what approximations will hold.

That LateX is kinda of tricky for this stuff, but I did figure out the problem. If you're interested maybe I could scan my paper or something; it's a lot of algebra. Thanks for helping though!

1. What is an ICE table and how is it used in advanced chemical equilibria?

The ICE table, also known as the Initial-Change-Equilibrium table, is a tool used in advanced chemical equilibria to calculate the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. It involves setting up a table with initial concentrations, determining the changes that occur during the reaction, and then using these values to calculate the equilibrium concentrations.

2. How do you determine the equilibrium constant using an ICE table?

The equilibrium constant, represented by K, can be determined using the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. These values can be obtained from the ICE table by dividing the equilibrium concentrations of products by the equilibrium concentrations of reactants. The resulting value is the equilibrium constant K.

3. Can an ICE table be used for all types of chemical reactions?

Yes, an ICE table can be used for any chemical reaction that reaches equilibrium, including both homogeneous and heterogeneous reactions. However, it may be more challenging to set up and solve an ICE table for complex reactions involving multiple steps or reversible reactions.

4. How does the Le Chatelier's principle relate to the ICE table?

The Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is disturbed, it will adjust to minimize the effect of the disturbance and maintain equilibrium. In an ICE table, the initial concentrations can be changed to represent different disturbances, and the resulting equilibrium concentrations can be used to predict how the system will shift to maintain equilibrium.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using an ICE table?

One limitation of using an ICE table is that it assumes the reaction is taking place in a closed system, where no reactants or products are added or removed. It also assumes that the reaction is at a constant temperature and pressure. Additionally, the ICE table does not take into account the effect of changes in volume or pressure on the equilibrium concentrations.