Advanced Math courses online/through universitys

In summary, the conversation was about sources for taking advanced math classes outside of a graduate program. The suggestions given were the University of Indiana-East, University of Ottawa, University of Idaho, Emporia State University, Nicholls State University, University of Central Florida, University of West Florida, and Texas A&M University. The conversation also mentioned the option of a purely online bachelor's program at University of IL Springfield, but it was noted that it may not be accessible for non-enrolled students.
mateomy
I'm finishing my undergrad work in Physics and was just curious if there were sources to take 'advanced' math classes besides enrolling in a grad program. If for instance I wanted to take a Group Theory course for my own entertainment or whatever. I'm looking for something legitimate e.g. not a youtube series.

Any suggestions would be great (if any exist).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wrote a post with some options a few weeks ago but from my memory, try:

Univ of Indiana-East
U of Ottawa (KS)
U of Idaho (Eng Outreach)
Emporia State U
Nicholls State U
U of Central Florida
U of West Florida
Texas A& M U

I'm currently doing a mathematics bachelor's program at University of IL Springfield, purely online. I already have advanced degrees and whatnot, this is just for fun.

Check it out, sounds like it's close to what you're looking for: http://www.uis.edu/math/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP mentioned that he/she did not want to enroll in a program, and UIS makes it prohibitive for anyone not enrolled in their program to take classes.

Yes, there are definitely options for taking advanced math courses online or through universities without enrolling in a graduate program. Many universities offer non-degree seeking options for individuals who are interested in taking specific courses for their own personal enrichment or professional development. You can also look into online learning platforms such as Coursera, edX, or Khan Academy, which offer a variety of advanced math courses from top universities and institutions. Additionally, there are online communities and forums dedicated to mathematics where individuals can share resources and discuss advanced topics. It's important to do your research and ensure that the course or program you choose is legitimate and reputable. Good luck in your pursuit of advanced math knowledge!

1. What are the benefits of taking advanced math courses online or through universities?

There are several benefits to taking advanced math courses online or through universities. These include:

• Flexibility: Online courses allow you to learn at your own pace and on your own schedule, while university courses offer a more structured learning environment.
  • Access to expert instructors: In both online and university courses, you will have access to experienced math instructors who can provide personalized help and guidance.
  • Networking opportunities: University courses provide opportunities to meet and collaborate with other students and professionals in the field of mathematics.
  • Increased job opportunities: Advanced math skills are highly valued in many industries, and completing these courses can make you more competitive in the job market.
  • Preparation for further education: Taking advanced math courses can help prepare you for graduate studies in mathematics or related fields.

2. What types of advanced math courses are typically offered online or through universities?

There is a wide range of advanced math courses available online and through universities. Some common examples include:

• Calculus: This is typically a foundational course in advanced mathematics, covering topics such as derivatives, integrals, and applications.
  • Linear Algebra: This course focuses on vector spaces, matrices, and linear transformations.
  • Abstract Algebra: This course covers algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields.
  • Differential Equations: This course explores the mathematical modeling of systems and phenomena using differential equations.
  • Number Theory: This course deals with the properties of integers and their relationships.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking advanced math courses online or through universities?

Prerequisites for advanced math courses vary depending on the specific course and institution. However, most courses will require a strong foundation in basic math concepts, such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Some may also require previous coursework in calculus or other advanced math topics.

4. How do I know if I am ready for advanced math courses?

If you are interested in taking advanced math courses, it is important to assess your current math skills and knowledge. You should have a strong understanding of basic math concepts and be comfortable with abstract thinking and problem-solving. It may also be helpful to speak with a math instructor or advisor to determine your readiness for specific courses.

5. Can I receive credit for advanced math courses taken online or through universities?

Many universities and institutions offer credit for advanced math courses taken online or through universities. However, this will vary depending on the institution and the specific course. It is important to check with your university or college to determine their policies on credit transfer before enrolling in an online course.