Advanced mechanics - x(t) from v(x)

In summary, the homework statement asks for a solution to an equation in which the variables are separated and the constant is found from the initial condition. The student attempted to integrate both sides and got an expression for xn+1/(n+1). The final step is to solve for x.
tourjete

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m's velocity varies according to bx-n

Find the position as a function of time, setting x = x0 at t=0

Homework Equations

v(x) = bx-n

possibly relevant: f(x) = -b2mnx-2n-1

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of the question asked me to find the force acting on the particle as a function of x, which I did using the chain rule. I'm a little unclear as to whether I need f(x) to get x(t).

Anyway, here's my attempt at a solution:
dv/dt = (dv/dx)*(dx/dt)
dv/dt = (dv/dx) * v(x)

Both of these quantities are known so I plugged them in and got an expression for dv/dt. I then tried to integrate that expression twice, once to get v(t) and another time to get x(t). However, when I do that I just get the expression times t2/2, which would make x(0) = 0, not x0 as the problem statement gives.

Am I doing this the complete wrong way or am I on the right track and just not understanding calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
v = \frac{d x}{d t} = b x^{-n}
[/tex]
This is a 1st order ODE with separable variables. The variables separate as:
[tex]
x^{n} \, dx = b \, dt
[/tex]
which can be integrated by elementary tabular integrals. The one arbitrary constant is found from the initial condition.

Thanks!

I solved the ODE by integrating both sides and got xn+1/(n+1) = bt. I don't see where the constant comes into play here.

Finish the expression for the integration of your ode. What must one add to every indefinite integral of df/dx?

so I have:

xn+1/(n+1) = bt + C

then I plug in the initial condition x=x0 at t = 0

C = x0n+1/(n+1)

I just need to solve this for x now, correct?

yes.

Molto bene, molto bene!

1. What is x(t) and v(x) in advanced mechanics?

X(t) and v(x) are both mathematical representations of an object's position and velocity, respectively, as a function of time. X(t) is the position function, which describes the object's location at a specific time, while v(x) is the velocity function, which describes the object's speed and direction at a specific position.

2. How are x(t) and v(x) related in advanced mechanics?

X(t) and v(x) are related through the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of the position function is equal to the velocity function. This means that v(x) is the derivative of x(t), or the rate of change of x(t).

3. What information can we obtain from x(t) and v(x) in advanced mechanics?

Using x(t) and v(x), we can determine the object's acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity. We can also calculate the total distance traveled by the object, the time it takes to reach a certain position or velocity, and the object's displacement.

4. How is x(t) and v(x) used in real-world applications?

X(t) and v(x) are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and mechanical engineering. They are particularly important in understanding the motion of objects and predicting their behavior, which is crucial in designing and building structures and machines.

5. Are there any limitations to using x(t) and v(x) in advanced mechanics?

While x(t) and v(x) are powerful tools in understanding the motion of objects, they are limited by certain assumptions and simplifications. For example, they assume that the object is moving in a straight line and at a constant acceleration, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.