Advanced Solid State Physics Book: A Modern Alternative to Kittel and Ashcroft

In summary, the conversation was about finding a solid-state physics textbook that is both advanced and easy to understand. The participants have different opinions on existing textbooks, with one finding Kittel too complicated and outdated, while another thinks Ashcroft is one of the best. A suggestion was made for Marder's Condensed Matter Physics as a good option. The conversation ends with a request for recommendations for new authors.
Suman Saha
I found Kittel very complicated and Ashcroft outdated. I want something rather new, written in a advanced but familiar manner.

Physics news on Phys.org
You found Kittel complicated but want something written in an advanced manner? That seems rather contradictory - Kittel is meant to be one of the more elementary level texts in the field. I personally dislike Kittel as well though - he doesn't explain a lot of concepts very well, and uses very sloppy mathematics at times.
Condensed Matter Physics by Marder seems to be a pretty good book.

Hm, I always thought that Ashcroft&Mermin is one of the best solid-state textbooks on the market and, as any good textbook, surprisingly up-to-date although written a while ago, but I'm not a solid-state physicist myself.

Likes PietKuip
Friends, can you suggest for some new authors.

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of physical properties of solid materials, such as crystals and amorphous solids. It involves understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in solids, and how they contribute to the overall properties of the material.

2. What are some real-world applications of solid state physics?

Solid state physics has a wide range of applications, including the development of electronic devices such as transistors, integrated circuits, and solar cells. It is also crucial in the study of materials for renewable energy, such as batteries and fuel cells. Other applications include the development of new materials for medicine, construction, and transportation.

3. What topics are typically covered in a solid state physics book?

A solid state physics book typically covers topics such as crystal structure and symmetry, electronic band structure, thermal properties, and magnetic properties of solids. It also includes discussions on the effects of defects and impurities, as well as the behavior of materials under extreme conditions such as high pressure and low temperatures.

4. Is solid state physics a difficult subject to understand?

Solid state physics can be a challenging subject, as it requires a strong understanding of concepts in quantum mechanics and thermodynamics. However, with a solid foundation in these areas, it is possible to grasp the principles of solid state physics and its applications.

5. What are some recommended solid state physics books for beginners?

Some recommended solid state physics books for beginners include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Solid State Physics" by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin, and "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics" by P.M. Chaikin and T.C. Lubensky. It is also helpful to consult textbooks and resources recommended by your professor or university curriculum.