Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced study of trigonometry

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    I was just wondering if anyone could suggest information about the advanced study of trigonometry. I am contemplating getting a degree in mathematics, and I'm currently trying to master the basics of trigonometry in preparation for taking cactus. In looking at all the courses I'll be taking for an undergraduate degree in mathematics, I don't see any mention of trigonometry. Is that something that shows up again in higher mathematics, or is what I have learned in precalculus about all there is to trigonometry?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, I hope you are planning on taking "Calculus". If you really are planning on taking "cactus", remember to wear heavy gloves!

Trigonometry itself really does not include a great deal more than you learn in precalculus. I suspect that the sine law and cosine law, for solving general triangles are about as "advanced" as trigonometry gets. However, the trigonometric functions, especially sine and cosine, are heavily used- not so much to solve problems dealing with triangles, but because they are the simplest periodic functions.

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the information. Yes I definitely will be taking calculus. I had no idea I said cactus. I use voice recognition to type so sometimes I end up with errors like that.

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep looking. You should find that the first three and least advanced college level Math courses are Trigonometry, College Algebra, and PreCalculus(also called Elementary Functions; also called College Algebra And Trigonometry). The Trigonometry course from college, if it was not in highschool, may be a bit more thorough than what you were used to. You might think of this as more advanced. In the college course, you will study vectors and an exponential form of expressing functions and vectors, something which is more thoroughly developed in your Calculus 2 course which you would take LATER.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook