Advice for an Undergrad on Approaching Physics Profs for Summer Work

In summary: If you are a new student at UC Davis and want to work during the summer, the appropriate etiquette is to approach a professor who is hiring undergrads and ask if they have any openings. If the professor does have an opening, you can then ask to interview for the position. If the professor does not have an opening, then you should still introduce yourself and ask about possible opportunities in the future.
colin.mcenroe
I am here at UC Davis for the summer and I would like to work while I am here. Since I am new to the UC system, I am somewhat inexperienced with regards to the proper ettiquette in going about these sorts of matters. What is the appropriate way to approach a professor about summer work? Is e-mail OK? I have never met any of these professors, there is just a list of the experiments/professors who hire undergrads. I have a few skills, like MATLAB, JAVA, and circuit construction (though none with PCB design or SMD soldering, at least not yet). I have good grades, but since I am a transfer student I am not sure how this is viewed as compared to the students who have done all of their course work at the university.

Should I simply ask them if positions are available, and if they are set up appointments to meet with them? If said appointments do happen, should I plan on dressing up somewhat, bringing a resume of some sort, or what? Just go in casually and talk about my experience and what I hope to contribute?

All advice is welcome and appreciated!

Colin

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, what are some general rules for addressing professors through e-mail? I usually go something like this:

Dear Professor Einstein,

... (keep it brief)

Yours Faithfully,

Colin McEnroe

And if they reply to me, I always reply with a thank you to terminate the conversation. Does this seem appropriate, or too formal? I can never tell what is and isn't OK with e-mail.

I'm an undergrad in the UC system as well, and here at Santa Cruz the professors couldn't be more friendly. The ettiquette here is that if you're interested in a specific project, then you simply find the professor in charge, and go to his office to introduce yourself and ask about what you could do to help. Email would probably be good to initially introduce yourself, and then you could set up a specific time to get together and meet.
Good luck.

sonic

1. How do I approach a physics professor for summer work?

The best way to approach a physics professor for summer work is to first do some research on their current projects and areas of expertise. Then, send a polite and professional email introducing yourself, expressing your interest in their work, and inquiring about potential summer opportunities. It's also helpful to mention any relevant skills or coursework you have that would make you a good fit for their research team.

2. Is it better to approach a professor in person or via email?

This can vary depending on the professor's preferences, but in general, it's best to start with an email. This gives the professor time to consider your request and respond at their convenience. If you don't receive a response within a week or two, you can follow up with a polite email or try approaching them in person during their office hours.

3. What should I include in my email to a physics professor?

Your email should include a brief introduction of yourself, your interest in their research, and your request for summer work. It's also helpful to mention any relevant qualifications or experiences you have that would make you a good fit for their research team. Be sure to keep the email concise and professional.

4. How should I prepare for a meeting with a physics professor?

Before meeting with a physics professor, make sure to do your research on their current projects and areas of expertise. You can also prepare some questions to ask about their research or their expectations for summer work. It's also important to dress professionally and bring a copy of your resume or any relevant materials.

5. What if a physics professor is unable to offer me summer work?

If a physics professor is unable to offer you summer work, don't be discouraged. You can still ask if there are any other opportunities available, such as shadowing or volunteering in their lab. Additionally, you can reach out to other professors or look for research opportunities outside of your university. Remember to stay positive and continue to network and gain experience in the field.